Quick First Cut Brisket

Larry Powers

TVWBB Member
I've had a first cut brisket sitting in the fridge for over a week. It was time to do something with it today. I was pretty busy so I decided to wing it. I had some Slap Yo Daddy All Purpose rub in the cabinet so I covered the brisket with that. While applying the rub I decided to treat this like a rack of ribs and do a 3-2-1 cook. I went out and fired up the smoker and threw on the meat. After 3 hours I wrapped the meat and added a braising liquid of red wine, red wine vinegar, honey, worcester, garlic, thyme and sage. I placed the wrapped meat back on the smoker. During the 2 hour braise I made a batch of Sauce No. 5. After 2 hours I pulled the meat, added the drippings to the sauce and applied it to the meat. After 45 more minutes I pulled the meat (we were too hungry to wait the whole hour).

The meat was very tender. I sliced it thin and served it with the remaining sauce, corn on the cob and biscuits.

Yet another good dinner. I love my WSM.

Help me out here what is the first cut? I have heard this term before I just do not know what it means. Thanks Vince

Vince, I think "first cut" is used sometimes to refer to the brisket flat, as opposed to the brisket point which they'll sell as a "second cut."

I ran the smoker at 250-260 on the lid thermometer for the whole cook. The flat was so thin I didn't bother using a thermometer on it. This was definitely a fly by the seat of your pants cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince B:
So if I like the point I need to ask the butcher for the 2nd cut!Got it thanks. Vince </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear that. Probably cheaper than the flats. I just had my first date with burnt ends over the weekend and am now hopelessly in love.

Larry, glad to hear it came out alright. I went ahead and picked up two more of those flats at Stew's this weekend while they stayed on sale for the Jewish holidays. Figure they'll be back up to 5.99 a lb pretty soon. Picked the two thickest I could find and stuck them in the freezer.

Back