Questions re: Aftermarket Deflector Plate and Charcoal Ring

I recently sold my WSM-22 to get a more versatile cooking rig. One thing I truly miss with the WSM
is whole grate indirect cooking for large items like Turkey. As a result I am now interested in acquiring
an Aftermarket Deflector Plate and Charcoal Ring for my 22" SNS Kettle, like the one below

I have 2 questions to anyone that cares to answer them

1. If you have 22" inch Webber (non smokey Joe) kettle, what is the gap in inches between the bottom charcoal grate and top cooking grate? 4,5,6 inches?
2. If you have added an aftermarket plate and ring like this how did it work for you? After adding a drip/water pan it seems it would be quite close to the cooking grate and I'm wondering how it worked for you.

Thanks for sharing your experience, its greatly appreciated

Should work good.......I have no idea if a setup like that holds 300 - 350 for a long time or not........
The shallow ring I believe is what some people were worried about when looking into the master touch premium with hinged lid.
Basically it wouldn't hold a ton of fuel and the heat source was extremely close to the protein.
Take pics and let us know how it worked.

Messy S6 Brett????
I should take pictures of mine and show them off.....
I was one of the first few to get one on this board as far as I am aware.....it's looking pretty good still!

Messy S6 Brett????
I should take pictures of mine and show them off.....
I was one of the first few to get one on this board as far as I am aware.....it's looking pretty good still!
nah. i've been really good about foiling for every cook. i'm thinking of large cuts; briskets. as i am using the larger aluminum pans and am wondering if i'm wasting money by using such large vessels. in the exploration phase if i have the right sized drip pan for those biggie cooks.

Should work good.......I have no idea if a setup like that holds 300 - 350 for a long time or not........
The shallow ring I believe is what some people were worried about when looking into the master touch premium with hinged lid.
Basically it wouldn't hold a ton of fuel and the heat source was extremely close to the protein.
Take pics and let us know how it worked.
Thats a great point about temp an proximity of heat to protein and something I was concerned too. According to Ned at HotBeacon, the ring is supposed to hold up to 125 briquets and can keep 225 degrees for 8 hours on a single load. I'm looking to go 300-325 for about 3 hours and we will see how it goes and can compare to a WSM smoked bird.

Here are the pics from my turkey cook yesterday with the new diffuser setup. I loaded about 105 kingsford original briquets with apple wood chips. Running all vents open was able to maintain around 310-320 degrees with 1/2 full water pan. I brined, injected and rubbed this oddly shaped 16lb turkey and cooked for just over 3 hours. It wasnt the best bird Ive cooked but it was juicy, smokey and well seasoned so it still made for a fine meal.
Maybe more importantly, I was able to add a cheap 50 inch 4k TV to the patio just in time for the NBA playoffs and NFL training camp. So it was a bonus night.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Here are the pics from my turkey cook yesterday with the new diffuser setup. I loaded about 105 kingsford original briquets with apple wood chips. Running all vents open was able to maintain around 310-320 degrees with 1/2 full water pan. I brined, injected and rubbed this oddly shaped 16lb turkey and cooked for just over 3 hours. It wasnt the best bird Ive cooked but it was juicy, smokey and well seasoned so it still made for a fine meal.
Just as important, I was able to add a cheap 50 inch 4k TV to the patio, so it was a bonus night.
You hit that out of the park for sure. Go Niners!

Back