Questions, Questions, Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I want to thank those that respond here ahead of time; I know your knowledge and wisdom will save me a ton of hassle and consternation.

1. Any easy clean up tips; in particular the racks and pan? I may switch to the sand method in the pan; sounds like it solves a lot of hassles.

2. Is there a reason folks don't use those fast-lighting bruquetts in their chimney starter? It saves the hassle of newspaper. I just wait till the bruquetts are white, then pour out onto the grate and add additional regular bruquetts. Gotta be a reason.

I live in the Pacific Northwest and it's the monsoon season. I'm concerned the briquetts I have stored in my shed will draw moisture and not fire up very well. Suggestions?

Again, thank you all.

Hi Kyle and welcome. I find that if I spray my racks with Pam before the cook that the clean up is much easier. I also brush the grates as soon as I am done cooking. I also foil the water pan that seems to help alot. As far as the fast lighting coals. They are saturated with chemical starter and I personally don't like the taste of petrolium in my food. I think that the time it takes for the paper is worth it. I also sometimes place the chimney on top of my turkey frier burner with no paper that really speeds up the process. I hope some of these sugestions help. I'm sure you will get all the advice you could want on this forum. Alot of good and knowledgeable folks here that are alway's glad to help.

Hello Kyle!

Glad you're having so much fun with your WSM. You're obviously putting it to good use! The members here are very generous with their time and their experience. You've come to the right place!

Here are some links to discussions about using starters other than newspaper. I've been using the Sterno Wick for 6 months or more and am very pleased with it - it's dependable and hassle-free.

More about it about half-way down the thread:

http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000870

And again in:

http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000896

http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001228

Also, many of us store our charcoal in a Rubbermaid RoughNeck trash can (with wheels). I haven't had any trouble with damp fuel since Pat Barnes made that suggestion here on the BB:

http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000529
Rita

Fast clean up:

1. Sand in water pan, cover in foil

2. Sand in water pan, cover in foil

3. Sand in water pan, cover in foil

4. After cook, put racks directly over charcoal ring, let coals burn grease and yuk off. When cool, hit with metal brush just like on kettle grill.

5. With clean racks, just replace foil and you are ready to cook again.

A word of caution about using the turkey frier burner to start your charcoal.... only use it to get the coals going initially, then move the chimney off the burner. This will prevent ashes from dropping down into your turkey burner. Also, my dad left his Weber chimney on the burner until all the coals were lit, and the burner melted the wires that hold in the charcoal. What a mess!

I stick my chimney on the burner for just a couple of minutes, then move it to my Smokey Joe and let the coals get going that way. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kelly

Thanks for the tip about the burner Kelly that is how I use it. That's what I love about this site. When you leave something out alway's someone their to back you up. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rita Y:
[qb]I've been using the Sterno Wick for 6 months or more and am very pleased with it - it's dependable and hassle-free.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>See How To Use A Chimney for newspaper alternatives, including Sterno Wick.

Regards,
Chris

Glad you mentioned that, Chris. You've mentioned a few more alternatives as well. Good job!

That reminds me of another fire-lighting technique that works well for me:

When lighting the 15 briquettes for the Minion method, I put a coffee can (with both ends removed) onto the center cone of my Weber chimney to hold them. This keeps them all concentrated directly over my Sterno wick, and keeps them from spreading out around the center cone of the chimney. Works every time.

Rita,

That's a great idea. Have you ever tried lighting 3-4 briquets for smoked cheese, using a chimney and a sterno wick? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

And you're welcome, Mike -- this IS a great site, isn't it!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kelly

That sounds interesting, Kelly. Would you enlighten us? /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Are you perhaps referring to what we used to do over a hibachi, with cubes of cheese on skewers? Sort of cheese S'Mores for cocktails?

Enlighten you? Sure thing, although once again, Chris gets the credit. I followed his method for smoking cheese from the Let's Cook section:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cheese.html

It turned out very good; in fact, I'm thinking of doing it again real soon. I like to do it when I have something else planned -- I just do the cheese first and then do a regular smoke.

Kelly

Last weekend I put something called Easy Light into the weber chimney. It's a little block of wood that had groves cut through it. I had a roaring fire in that chimney in a few minutes.
Fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back