Questions on Weber Performer Gen 1 SS - Never owned a kettle

GregPeters

I have been using my Weber Smokey Mountain for 15+ years, love it!
Always had a propane grill, loved my old Weber, hate my new Weber.

I was on the hunt for a Weber Performer Gen 1 SS, just so I could use the cart for my WSM.

Well, I found one, and it seems to nice to tear apart. Will post pics later when the lighting is better.
There is a bar code under the gas assist plate, but I can't find what it means. 183977 is the code.
Not sure the age, but guessing mid/late 1990's?

So this is going to be my first charcoal grill ever, I only used one once before!

It has all the gas assist parts, except the tank.
The regulator hose is old and I need the newer LP tank connection.
I bought a new generic regulator, I think I can piece it together to use a modern tank.

The grill grate is crudy/rusty. I am guessing it was originally plated steel.
Looking on Amazon, I can use any 22" Weber type grate?
I want SS grate, but I see there are options.
I want the side panels that lift? Why would I want the center piece to lift out?
Then I see the Easy Spin Grate
I own Hunsaker Vortex Basket and Plate for my WSM, I see they also have SS grates.

The charcoal grate looks fine to me. But I see they have dividers or baskets for charcoal.
Do I need those?
I see half moon shape ones, and center ones.
I will never "smoke" or low and slow on this, but not sure if I need something for this.

All good questions. Luckily with good answers too. There are great replacement grates. Charcoal baskets cand halp with many things, including two zone cooking. Keeps the grill alive longer too. Protects the bowl. Grill opening is useful for using vortex. Can also hold various tools. ...wok plate etc. Yes, the lift grates are awesome.
you might not be able to use a generic regulator. make sure it is the right level.
A lot of people find the performer their favorite. Do not be surprised if yoi find it your number one grill

I was wondering about the regulator.
Everything is threaded together, so assuming it all works I could just replace the hose and the quick disconnect with a modern LB connection.

The regulator is Marshal model 210. Which looks like they can be purchased still.

I just did what you’re wanting to do. With the 22”, you need a platform for the smoker to stand on, other than that, you don’t need to tear it apart. 100% reversible.

Any 22” grate will work. The center piece option is for “gourmet bbq system” options. Pizza stone, Dutch oven, skillet, sear grate etc. If you don’t care about any of that, buy a hinged grate without the center piece, it’s easier to clean.

Charcoal baskets for me ultimately depends on the type of charcoal you use. If you use briquettes, they’re unnecessary. If you use lump, it helps smaller pieces from falling through the grates. It also helps move the charcoal around easily once it’s lit. I like them, and use them everytime.

As for the propane, I’m not much help. I still use the old tank, and just bought a $9 adapter on Amazon where I can refill it out of my in laws home tank. This way you can still use the hanger and inside plate on the cart as designed. Most propane shops can make a new hose for you as well. Pretty straight forward and cheap ~ $15

Last edited:
I a SS grate with center hole. Cheap Amazon one.
I figured out the propane connection, made a new modern one that works. Might just post in a separate thread as there isn't much out there.

So now I need to figure out charcoal basket, something reasonable price.

Attachments

• 2024-01-31 09.19.21.jpg
    2024-01-31 09.19.21.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 10
  • 2024-01-31 09.19.42.jpg
    2024-01-31 09.19.42.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 2024-01-31 07.37.17.jpg
    2024-01-31 07.37.17.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 2024-01-31 09.19.50.jpg
    2024-01-31 09.19.50.jpg