Questions on rolling ribs and using bottom grate

Pat DiFelice

Hello all,
Tomorrow I'm going to BBQ (4) racks St.Louis style spare ribs. My statements, then questions. The last time I did my ribs I rolled them, and like that method for simplicity and more space on the top rack. It could of been me but when I did the rolled ribs they seemed to come out drier, could of been me. Now my questions. I want to try some combined methods, here me out and please give some input. When BBQing with the rolled method is it the meatier side down? Do you turn them over at all during the cook? Also since I would rather have the ribs flat for presentation reasons and like to foil them. Could I roll the ribs for say 3 hours them spray them with apple juice, foil them and stack them for the rest of the cook? One more question, when using the bottom and top rack is there a cooking time difference (will the bottom cook faster being closer to the heat source). Thanks for all you help.
Pat

Pat,4 slabs of ribs should fit fine on a 18.5. Even more room on a 22. Two racks on top,2 on bottom,no need to roll.Then,about halfway through,swap top and bottom. Should be fine and great! BTW,I never foil.
PS- let us know how they turn out.

If you roll ribs and cook them for 3+ hours, they aren't going to lay flat without tearing. that is the main thing I don't like about cooking them that way...once you unroll them you pretty much have to cut them up. that's been my experience anyway with back ribs...I never cook spares.

When I roll ribs for space I stand them on the edge, like a cylinder with the length vertical. I can fit 4 racks like that decently on one grate. I'm with Phil though. If you put 2 racks on each level, there will be plenty of room to put the end pieces (Cut a few bones' worth of the skinny end of the rack so the big pieces fit nice and flat). Then You can eat the little pieces to judge the doneness of the big pieces. Nothing like a snack for the cook!

Thank you for the replies,
As mentioned before I like the ease of rolling the racks and being able to put 4 racks on one grate, that being said, I perfer laying them flat for moping. What got me to try the rolling method is I had layed down two racks before and they were a little longer than the grate itself. I figured that once they shrink a little it would be fine. At the end of the cook I had the brown sugar baked on the sides of the WSM and it's there to stay. Do the ends of the ribs have to be protected do not to burn, or does it even matter? Again when you roll the ribs do you flip them half way through the cook? I starting to prep 4 racks now an still uncertain if I'm going to roll them or use the bottom grate for the first time. Another note I finally tried the 14" clay saucer without water and do like the fast clean up. That's another reason I liked the roll up because I can get away with 4 racks on the top rack. Any input would be appreciated. I'm trying to perfect these ribs.
Thanks,
Pat

Pat,if rolling works for you.then go for it! As many people say,your method may vary(YMMV). If doing a bunch of ribs,5+ racks,I'll roll and use both grates. I also glaze with sauce while rolled at the end. If doing under 4 racks,I'll lay flat. Like I said,YMMV! Let us know how they turn out,and good luck!

Responding to one of your first statements, I don't know why rolling would make them drier. Mine have come out absolutely succulent when rolling.

On another note, I personally don't see why cooking them flat affects "presentation". While I'm sure some provide full racks as a massive amount of food, I actually don't know anyone who serves an intact full rack. They are always cut up for convenience.

And if I should cook the full rack flat on the grate, I will follow Rob's advice. "Nothing like a snack for the cook!"

Rich

Back