Questions on New HeaterMeter Build for Vision Pro S

Dominick A

TVWBB Fan
Hey everyone,

After doing my first successful 18 hour brisket last weekend, I have been researching temp controllers like crazy! I’ve been reading a lot here and on the wikis. I have decided that a Heatermeter is what I want to control my Vision pro S so I’m not losing any more sleep, but still able to pump out great BBQ! I’m so excited to get everything ordered and put it together! I do have a few questions I need answered so I am comfortable placing all of my orders.

1. Thermocouple seems unnecessary for me. I don’t see the value other than being able to use at higher temps. If I want to cook a pizza at 700+, I don’t think I need to use my Heatermeter at all. Am I missing something?
a. If I went with the Thermocouple PCB for $40 instead of non-thermocouple for $13.50, do I need anything else besides the actual thermocouple probe? I already have 3 Maverick probes, one for the grates, 2 for food, I think I would just get one more and be all set on the HM.

2. Is this still the best/cheapest wifi adapter being used? http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B003MTTJOY/tvwb-20

3. I’ve seen lots of pics & videos of the Roto Damper. Is Ralph selling them? If so, how much? If not, what are my best options for a damper? I am planning on getting this adapter for my Kamado. https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?CategoryId=2&ProductId=18

4. Along the lines of #3, is anyone printing cases?
a. If not, are there any designs that can be used to get printed at retail??
b. If so, does anyone have any recommendations for a printer​

5. Is it best to have all of the components, even if they are cased, in the shade on a hot sunny day?

6. It looks like Bryan has a list of items he is tinkering with on the code side of things. It seems like the Heatermeter should be fairly future proof. Are any updates that come down the pipeline essentially going to be firmware updates?

7. Is the Raspberry P B+ still not compatible with the HM 4.2.4 build?

Thanks!
Dominick

Welcome!

I'd agree that the Thermocouple is probably not needed for super high temps, but one of the other advantages of a Thermocouple is that they're really durable and pretty inexpensive.

If you get the kit with the Thermocouple board, all you need to add is a Thermocouple probe.

You have 2 solid choices for a servo driven damper. The Roto Damper from Ralph, or the Offset rotary valve by Tom. Personally, I've been using the Offset rotary valve for a couple of years now and it's quite good.

See this thread for a 3D printed case.

I've left my unit out in the hot sun and freezing cold, only thing to worry about is rain!

Nope, the Raspberry Pi B+ won't work.

Last edited:
So with a thermocouple PCB, is that adding just one thermocouple jack in addition to the 4 jacks on the standard board, or are all jacks then the thermocouple variety?

So with a thermocouple PCB, is that adding just one thermocouple jack in addition to the 4 jacks on the standard board, or are all jacks then the thermocouple variety?

You will have 1 Thermocouple for the Pit
and you would use your 3 mavericks for meat probes

There is a B+ option, but its neither an official heatermeter version or for the person that has never soldered.

Thanks Steve!

I'll have to reconsider my probe options.

So for the case & damper, I found this: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59833-Community-3D-Printer-Assembly-Trading-Resources. Would I just email Ralph or Tom depending on what I was looking for?

Yep, that would be the best thing to do.

The Thermocouple kit replaces the first probe ( Probe 0 / Pit Probe ) with a Thermocouple jack. So you'd have 1 x Thermocouple jack and 3 x Thermistor jacks.

See the image below. The red boxes are the Thermistor jacks and the blue box is the Thermocouple jack.

Last edited:

Back