Questions on best regulator and quick connnect hose for converting Genesis Silver B grill from LP to NG

Dave in MN

Once I run out of my current tank of propane, I want to convert my Weber Genesis Silver B grill from propane to NG. The grill is 36,000 BTUs total, or 12,000 BTUs per burner.

I did some research on this forum and a few other places on the Internet, and realize I need to drill out the orifice using a #51 drill bit.

I also need to buy a new quick-connect hose and NG regulator. Anyone have recommendations on which ones would work best on this grill and best place online to order them at a good price?

The NG line coming out of my house has a pressure of between 7 and 14" WC inches (1/4-1/2 PSI), so I assume I need a regulator to bring down the pressure further to 4" WC? Is that the best pressure for the converted grill to run on?

And I'm looking for a durable quick connect hose, if you have a recommendation.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have!

You need to do MORE than that to make it a SAFE conversion. Unless you have the continuously variable type valves which are VERY scarce on Weber grills especially the Genesis models (I think I have only seen one Genesis with those valves and one Summit. You better do A LOT more research. Because if you do it wrong you can make it VERY unsafe. If you have the 3 step valves (low/med/high) you either need to modify the low/med ports on the spool or buy a while new NG manifold. If you don't you could have a grill that when running at low/med could have a BAD flash over.

You need to do MORE than that to make it a SAFE conversion. Unless you have the continuously variable type valves which are VERY scarce on Weber grills especially the Genesis models (I think I have only seen one Genesis with those valves and one Summit. You better do A LOT more research. Because if you do it wrong you can make it VERY unsafe. If you have the 3 step valves (low/med/high) you either need to modify the low/med ports on the spool or buy a while new NG manifold. If you don't you could have a grill that when running at low/med could have a BAD flash over.
Thanks for the info. How do I determine what type of valve I have? They are marked Low, Medium and High, but I can adjust them anywhere in between so they seem variable.

Hmmm, if I have the 3 step valves, probably not worth converting this one. Might be best to sell this one and by a NG model instead. I appreciate the help!

Last edited:
We're hesitant to recommend conversions other than to simply replace the entire manifold. That gets you the proper valves and orifices for the gas type you're switching to. Too many people get bad results doing it the way you're thinking of doing it.

We're hesitant to recommend conversions other than to simply replace the entire manifold. That gets you the proper valves and orifices for the gas type you're switching to. Too many people get bad results doing it the way you're thinking of doing it.
Thanks, will check into that and figure out if it's worth the cost or if I should just put that money into a new NG grill.

If it's marked L,M,H you have the 3 step valve. Best bet is to find a replacement known good NG manifold. I say known good because there are shysters who'll sell you the wrong one.
Now that being said you have another thing you have to be wary of. Back when I was flight crew for Delta Airlines I used to stay with a friend of my wife's in Woodbury MN. To help offset rent sometimes I would do minor home repairs for her. I noticed a VERY weird thing about her home. The NG supply came in at very high pressure through narrow diameter soft copper lines and was then reduced at each appliance. I don't know how common of practice this is there. I have never seen this anywhere else BTW. But if it's the case for you than you have to be doubly cautious on how you handle it.

Back when I was flight crew for Delta Airlines I used to stay with a friend of my wife's in Woodbury MN. To help offset rent sometimes I would do minor home repairs for her. I noticed a VERY weird thing about her home. The NG supply came in at very high pressure through narrow diameter soft copper lines and was then reduced at each appliance. I don't know how common of practice this is there. I have never seen this anywhere else BTW. But if it's the case for you than you have to be doubly cautious on how you handle it.
Yeah, Woodbury isn't far from me at all. It is common here to have NG coming into the home at 2 PSI, and then once in the house, it runs through a flexible copper line and then there is a regulator that steps it down to 1/2-1/4" PSI before it enters the appliances. Copper lines are allowed by code and widely used here, even outdoors, because I've been told the natural gas is "cleaner" in this area and doesn't corrode the copper like it does in other parts of the country.

My NG line that goes to the grill area is already stepped down to that 1/2-1/4" PSI.

Yeah I have never heard of distributing gas in a house like that. I have always seen it done with large diameter black iron or CSST piping.

Back