Questions from a newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duane Riggs

TVWBB Member
Well folks i bit the bullet and bought my first WSM. I plan on using it for the first time 4th of July weekend. I am deciding on how to monitor temp, etc. I will probably just use the thermometer in the top for now and check meat temp with an instant read since i already have those items. I might try the Maverick ET-73 later on.

I am trying to decide to use H20 or sand in the water pan, i havent decided on that one yet.

I live about halfway between Indianapolis and Louisville. Are any of you folks in this area?

I am looking for some good sources for smoking woods, and other BBQ tools, etc. in this area.

I really havent decided ehat i am going to cook first, i will let the family decide that i guess.

Hi Duane welcome to TVWB. Well as Emeril says "it ain't rocket science." But loads of fun. I will say that as you gain experience in Qing you will develope your own methods and style. However this board will prove to be the best source of info you will find and everyone one is just plain o great and ready to give a helping hand. I have gone to using sand only it has proved to be the best method for me. It's very convenient. I did install two therms, one in the lid and on the side of the middle unit. This works just find and allows me to monitor the temp accurately. Again welcome and visit the board often. Good Q'in.

Chach

Duane-

Congrats on your purchase. Keep things simple to start. Therm in the top (candy or other type) will be just fine. Remember not to fiddle with the vents too much, give them 15 mins to react to changes.

I'd recommend water on the first cook as Chris has lots more recipes that specify water, and that'll just keep your comfort level higher.

I'm in Redwood City, CA which is a little ways off from Indianapolis AND Louisville! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You forgot one thing, though. Whatcha gonna cook?

Have fun!

Rich G.

Welcome to the world of BBQ! Rest assured no matter what you cook if you follow the advise given on this board you will have the best Q you have ever tasted. After a while you will feel like futzing with the ideas given here. Thats a good thing. Q is best when it meets your idea of good Q. Only thing I suggest is dont try to micro manage the WSM. In the beginning I was working the vents too much. I now use minion method on all smokes in the WSM, works well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back