Questions around Direct Cooking on WSK

Michael Hermanek

TVWBB Member
I have owned the WSK for about 9 months now and have done a couple low n slow cooks (pork butt, ribs) with success. I still have to work on the spatchcock chicken as I did that with the deflector on and a little higher temp (330F) and wasn’t satisfied with it. However, I have not done any direct cooks on the WSK. I have read through a lot of the posts (Brett-EDH has done an awesome job on his descriptions) but had a few follow up/miscellaneous questions that I hope people can share their wisdom with:

For Steaks:

When using the CI Sear plate, it looks like the CB or Vortex is on the upper grate situated just below the CI Sear plate. When doing it this way, it appears that the steaks start out there (front sear) and flipping it after 3-4 minutes per side for a 2 inch thick steak. I am unsure if the lid is open or closed? Can someone confirm? Also is this enough to achieve your internal temperature of do you move it to the indirect side to continue to cook?

For Burgers:

When using the CI Sear plate, how long do you do the front sear and is the dome open or closed?

Lighting Charcoal for the CB:

What is people’s preferred way to doing it? I would say using a chimney and transferring the coals to the CB would be the way that I’m thinking but just more curious if people felt that using a torch or cube with charcoal inside the baskets?

Are there other tips/tricks for direct cooking on the WSK?

Thanks in advance!

I think the answer to all of your questions are: It depends.

There are a number of ways to cook direct, however in almost all cases I keep a hot and a cool zone, and the size of the WSK makes this easy. It allows me to move one or more pieces away from the heat.

here are some configurations I've used:

coal rack lower position
- coal on the lower coal rack, no CB or vortex
- two CB's centered
- two CBs pushed to the back
- vortex centered
- vortex set on top of two CBs centered

coal rack upper position:
- coal on the upper coal rack, no CB or vortex
- two CBs centered
- two CBs moved to the back.
- a CBs on either side with the indirect in the middle

I don't use my CI grate that often, so even when going for a sear I'm searing with fire vs searing with the heat of the grate.

My preference?

It depends.

I suggest experimenting.

This weekend I did boneless thighs, two CBs on the lower rack vortex set on top of them. I lit coal in the chimney and dumped it on top of a single layer of unlit coal in the CBs. I got a good char on each one over the coal and moved them off to finish indirect.

The vortex isn't really needed but it makes it easy to keep the coal in position. I guess what I'm saying is if you don't own a vortex already don't run out and buy one just because you see it in use. I've had my vortex longer than I've had my WSK

Last edited:
Another factor is how hot you get the coals and is it lump or briquettes

In the first set I had the WSK choked down to about 400F so there were no direct flames. It was also KPro briqs.

In the second set, flames are licking above the food grate. bottom and top vents were wide open. I don't recall but I think it was a mix of used coal. Likely mesquite, oak and some briq's.

Single layer of charcoal can provide one level of direct heat,

If you have more than layer of lump, and let it get really hot it will have flames

Also if the vents are closed down it will keep the flames from the coal in check.

@DanHoo - thanks for the feedback. It makes sense and I know a lot of it is experimenting to find the configuration that works. As far as direct cooking is concerned, it has been awhile since I've done it with charcoal and I remember it being very inconsistent. I switched to gas and it is a bit easier to control. However, I like the taste of food cook over charcoal and would like to find the most straight forward path in making the switch back. You given some things to consider on my next cook. Thanks again.

@Michael Hermanek

my .02 is start a new thread a few days before you plan to cook something and ask for suggestions.

If it is a steak the cut, grade and thickness and you'll get a number of suggestions. Some will suggest smoking and then finish with a reverse sear, and others will suggest a direct sear first and finish indirect. TBH I'm not sure if you asked me tomorrow which one I'd suggest as I've done both. For me and steaks I've found no matter how I cook it the most valuable tool is my instant read thermometer. I'll take a steak cooked to the correct done-ness any day vs a steak with a great sear that is over cooked.

When it comes to burgers, I use the gas grill. I'm usually in a hurry, kids are always hungry and the convenience leads me to turn a knob and push a button vs light coal.

My other suggestion is to take pics. I am bad about taking notes, but if I snap a few pics I can look at them and remember the details, and the added benefit of a time stamp on the pics makes it easy to find when the meat went on the grill.

from my experience(s):

i prefer using the CBs for lump coal, just under the CI sear grate OR the Weber center grate. depends what results you're seeking.

i prefer to hard sear up front, from the start and then move to indirect to reach done temp.

i am not a fan of the vortex. i own one and am unsold on its value and abilities in the WSK. that's just me. others might/will disagree.

you can start with indirect, go to say 90F on a NY Strip, and then move to direct sear for the finish. both methods work well. find the one you like for what you're cooking.

i light my lump, and i recommend lump, JD specifically, for the CBs.

I have lit both while in the CBs and also using a chimney. the chimney does give a better, even light up to the JD, and then i pour it over to the CBs after 10-12 mins of fire.

i use and prefer, used paper towels or napkins. either with bacon grease in them or some cooking oil on them, to use are fire starters under the chimney.

since we save rendered fat saved in a jar for fire starting on the WSK, i always seem to have some to use. so i take a teaspoon of the fat, place it in a used paper towel, 2 of them specifically, and place the 75% JD loaded chimney atop the towels and use a small torch to light the towels.

leave the WSK lid open and let er rip. 10-12 mins later, a fully lit chimney.

there are times i sear with the lid open and only close the lid when moving proteins to indirect to get to finish temp.

so more often then not, my searing is lid open, as O2 makes for a hotter fire, do my searing, move to indirect and then finish to temp.

this method applies to burgers, steaks, chicken, lamb, pork, whatever, except for salmon.

i prefer to sear salmon, both sides and serve it rare, very rare. we just like it that way. you can do a sear then go indirect on salmon if you like it fully cooked through.

burger will depend on thickness and weight. smashies are sear, flip, sear then remove, so long as they're thin.

if you're doing a 5-8 oz burger, sear, lid open, both sides, then move to indirect to finish to done temp.

your best way to learn is to do. if you're at the grill, watching, you won't burn stuff on direct. going indirect gives you lots of leeway and time to make changes.

I DO NOT like briqs for direct cooks or searing. IMO they're not hot enough and the flavor is meh. this is just my opinion. and we all know that opinions are like...... everyone has one. some have two.

and my searing is always with coal on the upper deck. the only time i do fire on the lower coal deck is a tritip, cooked with a live fire, using oak splits. tritip just works well that way for my and the style i like to cook it with.

ask away if you have more q's. and post pics.

I generally leave my charcoal rack in the lower position and virtually never move it to the upper position. More often than not, I spread charcoal over the entire grate and use gas assist (gas assist was NOT something I desired when I got it, and would have opted not to have it were it an option on the Summit-it doesn’t come on the Kamado unless with the cart, but by golly it’s handy!) to light. It also is essentially a built-in hot zone.

I use lump, well I’ll go ahead and say I solely use lump. Jealous Devil is my preference. I just last week opened and used my box of Jealous Devil briquettes that I’ve had for at least 2 years….but not on the Summit.

I sear with the lid open. Generally I’ve got flames tickling the meat in under a minute; it’s the single best sear I’ve gotten.

I’ve never used a vortex. Never have used a slow n sear either although I’ll be purchasing on for the Summit to try and may add one for the 26” and 22’s.

One thing about the WSK, there are a LOT of options when doing a grill setup but can yield the same results. All above are great suggestions. I did a recent cook with a "bro n sear" setup where I smoked a rack of ribs for several hours off of the upper grill grate position. I added wings to the mix and smoked them low at 250ish while the ribs were finished up. Then, I mixed up all the coal and opened the vents to bring temps up to 400 and finished the wings. Setup below with about 6 briqs to start the cook.

IMG_3697 (002).JPG
Below is where the ribs were finishing up glazed with wings on for about 30 minutes. I had mixed the coals up to bring temp up on the grill.
IMG_3701.JPG

Finishing the wings at around 400-450. Ribs were off and resting.
IMG_3702.JPG

I just wanted to thank everyone for the input. I definitely have some ideas of how I want to approach my direct cooks. I will post pics of next cook and let everyone know of what approach I took. Thanks again!

Cooked a flank steak for tacos twednesday.

Had some scraps of coal leftovers from the last few cooks, a mix of FOGO oak, mesquite and KPro briqs. All have been lit at least once.

Lit the coal in one of my new favorite ways, kick ash basket over the side burner of the gasser.
20230405_175537_03.jpg

My performer shows up in the credits as the key grip. It's my side table for the WSK E6 and my coal sifter sorter storage cart.

20230405_175454.jpg

The basket holds small pieces pretty well. Let's let it sit for a few mins and let the rest of the coal get going.

20230405_180007.jpg
Then dump it out for half a grill direct, coal grate on the upper level.

20230405_180150.jpg
20230405_180219.jpg

Who needs a bro n sear.

20230405_184238.jpg

Enough already, where's the beef?

20230405_184318.jpg

Two zones let's me put the thin side of the flank towards the cooler zone.

20230405_184644.jpg

After a few flips, move the flanks to the cool side for some lid down roasting to bring up the temps.

20230405_184829.jpg

Measuring with the thermapen one. Temps were 125 to135 internal. Time to pull it off.

20230405_190303.jpg

And some slices for tacos.

20230405_190408.jpg

Sorry, no (paper) plated pics tonight.

Tacos were good. Some fresh guocomole on the side. Nothing fancy for a weeknight.

Last edited:
Unless I’m doing chicken, I just create a two zone setup by raking the coals on the upper charcoal grate to 1/3rd-1/2 of the grate and cook. Sometimes I use the SnS drip pan, sometimes I don’t.

Attachments

• 6C68CCD9-FD2E-4642-BEC0-BE686C4752B0.jpeg
    6C68CCD9-FD2E-4642-BEC0-BE686C4752B0.jpeg
    236.7 KB · Views: 18
Unless I’m doing chicken, I just create a two zone setup by raking the coals on the upper charcoal grate to 1/3rd-1/2 of the grate and cook. Sometimes I use the SnS drip pan, sometimes I don’t.
I'm going to experiment cooking with coal on the grate at the upper level without CBs.

I have parts to make a bro and sear and likely will make one this summer.

I'm going to experiment cooking with coal on the grate at the upper level without CBs.
Don’t overthink it. The Vortex is hard to beat for chicken parts, but after that two zone cooking is where it’s at. I can cook edge to edge steaks at about any doneness level by the just keep flipping method and then throwing on the cool zone to finish after I like the appearance of the crust.. The cool zone is still probably 400-500° even and should work for many things.

Same method worked on my Performer. When it comes to ‘grilling‘, it’s not much different other than it can get a bit hotte.

Attachments

• 886EF96D-3124-4EFD-AEC3-627CB3B32BE5.jpeg
    886EF96D-3124-4EFD-AEC3-627CB3B32BE5.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 7
  • F0D49835-B59A-43B1-BDBE-511D4C5AB5C5.jpeg
    F0D49835-B59A-43B1-BDBE-511D4C5AB5C5.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 7

I have parts to make a bro and sear and likely will make one this summer.
Making it is pretty simple. Also, makes it easy to mix leftover coals to de-ash. I usually mix it with an old set of tongs. I'll just light the used coal at this point and add some new lump/briqs once it gets burning good. I wish the bottom of the setup was fully enclosed so I could just pick it up and de-sift the ashes and/or dump it in a chimney to light up.

Back