Questions about Off the Shelf, Commercial Dry Rubs - your favorite for pork butts

Michael Spurling

TVWBB Member
Mostly what I smoke is pork butts, baby back ribs, and spare ribs.

For the last 5-6 smokes I have been using a Dry Rub called " Mary's Gourmet Foods - Mary's Cherry Rub ".

This rub contains sugar, brown sugar, salt, dehydrated onion and garlic, ancho pepper, natural smoke and cherry flavor.

I really like this rub - it's got a nice mild taste, has a bit of sweet and flavor to it, just a bit of salt - not really spicy at all.

I'm going to be doing some pork butts in a few weeks and I would like to try a different rub.

I'd love some suggestions for some commercial, off the shelf rubs - particulary aimed for pork butts.

For me - I'm really not into making my own rubs. I know lots of people like to experiment to suit their own tastes and styles - but for now I am totally content with purchasing a rub.

For taste - I'm open to some different flavors - some on the spicy side and some on the sweet side. I guess I might lean more to a sweet / mild rub - but I'd love some ideas on some others.

Whats your favorite rub for pork butts ? I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions.

Thank you.

i've been using dizzy dust on just about everything. I love it. It has not let me down on ribs, butts or even brisket. I used to make my own but I've had way better bark using theirs. It's not cheap but it's well worth the money.

I like a light coating of molasses as the glue then hit it with Bib Bob Gibson or Smokin Guns Hot or Lotta Bull Unbullevable rub or even my own Pig dirt rub which is a take on one of Paul Kirk's rub recipes.

Rubs are so easy to make, I would spend the time looking for a few recipes here and some other websites. Look for rubs that have the ingredients you like and go for it. You can always scale the batch to make as much (or as little) as you want.

If you cook with any regularity, you will already have most of the ingredients. So it is just a matter of mixing them together.

You may even want to make a few small batches of different rubs and try them out on some country ribs. This way you can try a few different rubs side by side in a single cook.

Just have fun with it no matter what you decide.

Jim

I've used Mary's Cherry rub, but the best store/intrenet rub, IMO, is Texas BBQ Rubs. These days I usually make my own, but still keep the Texas BBQ rubs on hand.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've used Mary's Cherry rub, but the best store/intrenet rub, IMO, is Texas BBQ Rubs. These days I usually make my own, but still keep the Texas BBQ rubs on hand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for Bryan S. - The Texas BBQ Rub looks very interesting - do you prefer the Original Texas BBQ Rub or the Grand Champion Rub ?

I think I might lean on trying one of the 2

I'll second the Bad Byron's! Also,McCormicks makes a rub that's just called pork rub. It's available at WM and most grocery stores. Nice and mild.

Back