Questions about a dry chuck roast

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I mistimed things etc etc so improvised to let me get to bed at a reasonable hour. Here's the short version of what I did to get cook this tender (but not pulling-apart tender) but very dry three pound chuck roast.

- WSM at 200-225 to 160 internal temp.
- Foiled and put into a 350 oven to 188 internal.
- Wrapped in more foil (never unwrapped it) and a lot of heavy towels and put in an ice chest with very little air space left. That was 11pm.
- Took it out of the cooler and unwrapped it at 5am (six hours later). Internal temp was 130-132 throughout.

Questions:

1. Which of those stumbling-beginner procedures made it so dry?

2. Why isn't it pulling-apart tender?

3. The internet tells me that 140F is the minimum temp for hot holding. This meat was 130-132 for who knows how long (gradually down from 190). Is it safe to eat? Is it a case of if I survive the day it's OK?

Thanks,

Mick Ruthven

I always look for a chuck roast with some good fat marbling to provide and preserve moisture. That aside, I think you may have been better off smoking at a higher average temp-- more like 240-250*. In some cases, there is such a thing as too low & slow, and the result is usually dried out meat.

Exactly what cut of chuck roast did you cook? There are several, and some, like the boneless ones sold at Costco, are actually too lean for "fall apart" roast, in my experience.

Try a chuck eye roast or a 7-bone roast. See Stogie's page for a photo of a chuck eye roast before and after cooking.

Regards,
Chris

>Exactly what cut of chuck roast did you cook?

I don't know. I got it at the butcher counter of a good market. It was boneless. I'll ask the next time I'm in there.

Thanks for the link. That sure looked good. I got to my temps way before his 9 hours. His method is sure worth a try. Actually, that piece of meat looked like mine to my untrained eyes, but I'll ask the butcher anyway and next time make sure it's a chuck eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back