Question regarding wood chips for meatloaf smoke...

Jason Wayne

TVWBB Fan
At the last minute, all I could find around town were some apple chips for the meatloaf smoke. I have plenty of hickory chunks, but I am weary of adding too much and I know hickory is a stronger wood. So, would you guys advise just using a chunk or two of hickory for the meatloaf smoke or just a cup or two of apple chips? I hate chips, but that is all I could find. Thanks for your opinions and tips.

I think most everyone here prefers chunks as well, but, given your current dilemma, I'd use the apple chips.

Thanks Doug, do you have any idea how much I should use? I mean, would a cup of chips be about equal to one large chunk of wood? I plan on putting it in the foil packages to delay the burning, but I am not as familiar using wood chips. Should I start out with 1 cup or so and then about half-way put another cup of chips?

Thanks again!

Wrap up what you think would be an amount of chips roughly equivalent to about half of what you might use if you had chunks in a double heavy foil pouch, and poke a few holes in it. Then, just lay it on top of your charcoal. If the first pouch produces smoke for 45-60 minutes, that should be sufficient.

Thanks for the advice. I think it turned out a little under smoked, it was pretty good. I am looking forward to making it again, especially since it only took an hour and a half to get to 167.

Thanks!

Back