Question RE: Wooden Handles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey S

TVWBB Fan
Does any body know what year Weber made the transition from Teak wood handles, to the cheaper (whatever) wood handles ?

I have done a little wood working over the years, but I have never had my hands on any Teak wood, Therefore, I would not be able to identify teak wood if it were staring me in the face !

I have some older wood handles from my 1992 M/T, that I am prepairing to refinnish, and I am curious to find out if they are old enough to be Teak, or are they cheap?...

Knowing if they are teak, or cheap, will determine how I ultimately go about my little refinishing project

Corey

Thanks Alberto, I guess these 1992 handles must be the cheaper ones.
Now that I think about it, I believe that I read somewhere? that the earliest WSM's had a Teak handle, so that would put production of them up to at least the early 80's

Some have said that the Teak handles were around as late as 1985. I figured they changed when they eliminated the metal bowl handles in '81-'82. The "lower grade" wood was definatly in place by the late '80s. I would love to have a stock-pile of wooden handles. I've noticed that the shade of stain on the teak handles changed back and forth over the years. i.e. blonde-natural stain in the '60s-early '70s, then dark-walnut colored through the mid-late '70s then back to blonde-natural in the early '80s, then pinkish-redwood-esque in the '90s. I stained my wood handles walnut (1973 style) to go with my reds. It looks pretty sharp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
I stained my wood handles walnut (1973 style) to go with my reds. It looks pretty sharp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Let's see. By the way, let's not forget the oak handles. Where do they fit in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
QUOTE]Let's see. By the way, let's not forget the oak handles. Where do they fit in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm guessing oak is in between teak and what they used at the end of the wood handle era? Not sure. As for posting pictures, I havn't figured put how to do that on here yet. I would love to show off my "family".

This may not help much, but my kettle is a 1981 and I'm pretty sure it has teak handles. They are a bit weatherbeaten, but they're still intact. And they look pretty good all oiled up! I'm not sure even the mighty oak would last that long having been left out in the yard for all these years (except for a 5 year or so period stored away in a closet at work).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Linda:
This may not help much, but my kettle is a 1981 and I'm pretty sure it has teak handles. They are a bit weatherbeaten, but they're still intact. And they look pretty good all oiled up! I'm not sure even the mighty oak would last that long having been left out in the yard for all these years (except for a 5 year or so period stored away in a closet at work). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So if your kettle is a 1981 (C) and has 3 wood handles, then that would make 1980 (B) the last year of the metal bowl handles then? I saw a pic on here of a 1980 Red kettle with metal bowl handles. Now if I can find out when Weber went from twist style ash pans to clip mounted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back