Question on Brisket - Overdone?

Steve Zeitz

TVWBB Member
I did two large briskets over the weekend, starting at mid-night. I pulled them at approximately 195 internal temp and double wrapped in foil and stored for two hours. They were extremely juicy and flavorful and my family loved them, saying they were the best I've done. However, they were very different than brisket's of the past in that they were almost falling apart like chuck roast. Also, I used a fair amount of hickory and didn't notice much of a smoke ring. I think they were "overdone", but I have to admit they were great. Do others like their brisket this "done"? Thanks. Steve

I like my brisket more falling apart than most people. I believe that you should be able to pick a pice up with your fingers and gently pull and the slice (3/8 to 1/2 in thick) will come apart with little to no effort.

Most people like it a bit chewyer. Not me.

And as long as you have a great hickory flavor the smoke ring can vary. I have found that I get a better smoke ring if I put my brisket onto the smoker cold rather than room temp. It could be that I think that this keeps it down under 140 longer where the smoke ring is generated. I could be crazy too.

But this sort of brisket is the goal in my opinion. Good job!!!

Steve

I would like my brisket to slice without schredding, yet I want the slices to be tender.
Seams to me that might be what you are looking for ?

I wunder if someone could tell us @ what temp we should be doing what ? Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Steve

I wunder if someone could tell us @ what temp we should be doing what ? Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
There is no set temp. You have to test for tender.

Each brisky is different..the temps could of been the same as your others, but that means nothing. I have cooked briskys before same size, same temps, same everything...scratching my head thinking why is this one great..this one ok? General rule, 195 is fine. I cut across the grain I like to have a little pull to the piece of meat then have it "break" I just buy Choice or CAB packers, and notice a big difference in my end product.Sometimes I am not too picky as a lot of people want chopped brisket so, I get the cleaver out and chop the whole packer up. Brisket is so unique...practice, practice.

I thought I read something about putting in a 2 pronged meat fork. And something about pulling it out. That's what happens when you have a senior moment. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
I thought I read something about putting in a 2 pronged meat fork. And something about pulling it out. That's what happens when you have a senior moment. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You stick a fork in the meat and lift. If the brisket lifts with the fork, then it still needs to be cooked further. If it slides right back out, the brisket is done.

This is how I test my briskets.

Steve,
Keeping in mind that the brisket is still cooking during the 2 hour wrap, and that you cooked it to 195 first, I beleive you overcooked the brisket. I have done this on every brisket I have cooked so far and have had the same results. Tasty meat but pulled rather then sliced. The advice I remember reading here on the board is to either cook to done and serve after a reasonable rest or pull early and wrap and rest in a cooler for 1-3 hours. Not both.
Hope this helps

Thanks guys for the input. Interesting that my wife, who really doesn't like barbeque much, absolutely loved it at this level of doneness. It was very moist and tasty, but I think I prefer just a little less cooked. I agree that I pulled it a bit late and foiled it too long, but again, it tasted great. Just more reasons to keep on smoking!

Steve

For your reading enjoyment.
icon_wink.gif

Back