Question from Oz re garlic powder

Philip Langley

This a kinda question about BBQ, part just cooking, but reading some of these posts prompted me to ask.

Maybe even just a comment
icon_smile.gif

I'm intrigued - many, many American recipes mention using garlic powder, but I rarely see raw garlic in any recipes.

Over here in Oz, I'm not sure I've ever seen garlic powder in a recipe, but we use oodles of raw!

Is it just my perception? Would long cooking not lend itself to using raw garlic in recipes?

Just musing...

Chz

Philip

I--and many others--use raw garlic in sauces and in paste rubs in the recipes we develop, and use granulated garlic in dry rubs.

Many Q sauce recipes (especially those from books) are written with the non-cook in mind. Rather than offer some instruction on how to sweat or caramelize the onions for improved flavor or how to sweat the fresh garlic to sweeten it, the recipes often call for just chucking all ingredients into a pot at the same time and cooking a while--or, they skip using fresh anything at all, use already prepared items (like ketchup) and a host of dried ingredients, call for pitching everything into the pot and cooking to blend flavors.

These recipes, usually, are lacking. My opinion.

It's the same as with onions but with a lower heat: oil, unsalted butter, or a mix, in the pan over low heat. Add the minced garlic then reduce the heat to very low. That way it loses moisture slowly and sweetens if not allowed to brown.

Alternatively, if there are onions and/or other vegs being sauteed, saute the other vegs to whatever point is the target, add the garlic and cook just till fragrant, about a min or so, then continue with the recipe.

Okay! Then I"ve done so already with garlique squash. Mince the little devils then sweat about half an hour in olive oil. Finally add some freshly sliced squash and allow to cook low and slow till translucent. Mmmmmmm.

When you sweat garlic for 10 minutes or so, it turns to the color of straw, and sticks to your wooden spoon. I do this in EVOO, starting with a cold skillet and cold oil. This is the basis for a Fra Diavolo recipe I have, and the caramelizing of the garlic brings out the sweetness and therefore sweetens the red sauce. Fab.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Over here in Oz, I'm not sure I've ever seen garlic powder in a recipe, but we use oodles of raw!
Is it just my perception? Would long cooking not lend itself to using raw garlic in recipes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Philip

I don't know what part of Oz you are from, however in every Safeways or Coles you will find both garlic powder or granulated garlic flakes. I use these consistantly in both dry rubs and some marinates. It is quite common in BBQ recipes in OZ and mixed with a wetting agent such as lemon juice can be used as a substitute for fresh.

Regards

Hiya Phil

I'm in Perth
icon_smile.gif

You are totally correct, but my point was that I hardly ever see garlic powder called for in a recipe. Maybe I'm reading the wrong recipe books
icon_smile.gif

Cheers

Almost all of my dry rubs use some granulated garlic, but I rarely use it in sauces, marinades and brines. For these latter uses, I much prefer fresh garlic.

Back