Question for those that went from 18" up to 22" or 22" down to 18"

I have had the 22 for several years, and even though our household is down to 3 people, when I smoke, other family members/friends hear about it and want some BBQ. I get 18 lbs of pork butt at Sam's for $35, and can EASILY cook the two huge butts on the top grill (could fit 3, but Sam's sells in two's). I freeze some (I have a Foodsaver vacuum system) and send "CARE" packages to my kids and my mom. I am the most popular guy in the world when I bring in a pan of brisket or pulled pork to my local watering hole. I buy in bulk so it really isn't that expensive. I like being able to do 3 full racks of ribs, or a brisket packer, or two (or three) boston butts with ease. I also know I have the capacity to use the middle rack and do TWO full packers or SIX Boston butts or racks of ribs in one smoke. For Xmas I am responsible for brisket so I do two full packers so everyone (it's a big crowd) gets plenty and takes some home.

I've never had any of the smaller WSM's but have no regrets about having the extra capacity.

Jake

I have the 22" WSM.
The temperature is easily controlled from 215 - 300, just don't be afraid to close off two of the intake vents and only open the third one a crack when you want a low and slow cook.
When cooking at 225 - 250 a bag (15 or 18 lbs) of charcoal will easily maintain temperature for 14 - 16 hours if it is not windy.
I cook with a foiled empty water pan.
I use KBB charcoal (its $5 a bag when you buy on the holiday sales). I consider the cost of the charcoal as inconsequential when it comes to cooking BBQ.
Its just me and the wife at home but when BBQ is being served we can usually count on 4 extra adults to be available on pretty short notice.

Hi Adam, just joined this site so I'm by no mean an expert when it comes to WSM (I just got my first one, a 14.5" today), but don't forget that for those 5% of time shen you need extra capacity you can always smoke ribs, pork butts or brisket on a kettle too.

Even f I've just joined TVWBB, I have been barbecuing for several years and up until this week I only had a 22.5" OTG and a Smokey Joe, and despite that I managed to turn out some killer PP and ribs on the kettle using the snake method and a water filled aluminium drip pan under the meat, perhaps that's something to consider, sticking to the 18.5 and using the kettle as an occasional smoker when you need extra capacity?

When I looked into getting a WSM I went for the smaller 14.5" for that reason, it's only me and my wife and I am unlikely to need extra cooking capacity for 90% of the time, but if a I do I can fire up the Smokey Joe Mini (just built it last week) and smoke in the kettle too, if I get all 3 going at the same time I'm sure it would give me quite a lot of cooking real estate! :) :wsm:

I think Weber would sell more 14's if this wasn't one of the promo shots:

51dvuqojnHL.jpg

I saw that before owning one and promptly decided it wouldn't do and bought an 18. I don't know how tall the guy is in the photo but I'm 6'2" and I don't have to kneel down like that to use it.

Back