Question for the Reverse Sear fans...

I use my vortex. What I do is quite easy, and wife and I am pleased with the results. I locate my vortex in the back of my kettle. I place our steaks in the front and away from the vortex. Cook till I get about 110 degrees internal then right on top of vortex till the desired sear and internal temp is reached.

I can try that as well. Though it's marginally close to what I am doing with the SnS.

The more intramuscular fat the better the result. The leaner cuts do not benefit from RS methods. It actually makes them worse

Totally agree.. if I am dropping the coin for a rib eye, strip or porterhouse, I am not skimping. Always shoot for the best cut I can find.

Thank you. Yes.. every bit of feedback helps.
You're cooking at a higher temp than I am. There is typically about a 50* to 60* difference between my dome thermo and the deck temp with the Meater. Either way, I am usually between 250* & 300*.

Do I understand that you're starting with a bit more fuel than I (and many others) start with and stoking your original chimney full of coals rather than start a second chimney of fuel?
Michael,

Glad to help. I never pay attention to the dome thermometer, I only go by my digital probe at grate level. Comparisons between the two can at times be inconsistent. That said, yes, I run at 325-350 for the initial cook, prior to the sear. It makes it quicker to get up to the searing temp later that way, and I have found, at least for me, that the results are the same as to when I was using a lower temp for the initial cook. This way, I don't need to add more lit charcoal later to bring up the fire for searing, I just hit the one that I have been using all along with the air blower to use it for searing. Saves time and charcoal that way.

As far as fuel usage, sounds like you got it, but I'll try my best to clarify a little further. My Slow and Sear stays in my Performer, and usually has left over charcoal from previous cooks in it. I leave that in (unlit), mainly because it will elevate the half chimney of fresh lit coals up higher to the grate, helping more with the final sear when it comes time for that. Hope that makes some sense. You don't need the unlit coals in there, I'm just cheap and reuse them, with the added benefit of raising the fire up a little higher.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Charlie

The indirect portion is crazy easy.. I use the Meater Block and have had outstanding results over three or four dozen cooks I have used it on.
All I can think of is starting the second chimney earlier, as you noted. The Summit Charcoal will hit temps far hotter than my gasser will, so I want to stay with charcoal. I doubt I am getting much smoke flavor from the sear, but there's something about searing over the coals versus the CI that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
You nailed it. Just start the 2nd chimney earlier.
I prefer charcoal too.
When I do use the Genny B, it's outfitted with GrillGrates, so it's plenty hot enough for a great sear, but I still prefer charcoal.

Thank you. Yes.. every bit of feedback helps.
You're cooking at a higher temp than I am. There is typically about a 50* to 60* difference between my dome thermo and the deck temp with the Meater. Either way, I am usually between 250* & 300*.

Do I understand that you're starting with a bit more fuel than I (and many others) start with and stoking your original chimney full of coals rather than start a second chimney of fuel?
Second chimney is great for getting timing down and no waiting and all that fun.
But if you have a nice load of charcoal already on there and it isn't all used up in the 40 minutes you indirect for then if it is good quality charcoal just leaving the lid off and the steak to the side will result in easy 500 degree coals in a short time.
I can get that jealous devil smoking hot in good time without starting the chimney up again.......
It looks like this....I could have had a harder sear if I really wanted it.

1625661465672.png

I was only sear first with gas, then I got charcoal and tried reverse sear and have never looked back.
My go to is to use this on thick steaks, like a 2 inch plus tomahawk is ideal.
I go until you can see the edges turning color then start taking temps and aim for about 20 degrees lower than my eating temp.
So aim around 105 to 110, it isn't the most important, you should have a good 40 minutes or so of tasty charcoal flavor soaked up in that steak.
I just open the bottom vent and take the lid off, prime the coals with a few big breaths blown on it and come back 5 minutes or so later.
Depending on the charcoal is how long it takes to get ready to sear but I have been having exceptional results with jealous devil.
You know when its super hot and if you leave it even longer the little grates will leave sear marks if you want them. Refer to my steak in the 4rth of July thread.
I sear until it looks picture quality, usually the hotter the shorter and better.
Generally it is okay to rest by then but if the temp is still like 120 or less you can set to the side for another 5 minutes or so, it comes up fast.
I like to get it on the plate for 126....to 129 is my ideal, but more often that not the rest gets me a bit higher than I would like, it sure is still tasty and juicy at that point though.

Thank you... Here's another vote for removing at a lower IT. And do I understand that like Charlie, you don't light a second chimney?

I'll be candid, I don't notice a difference in flavor based on the method of searing, so I've been choosing the fastest and easiest, often the E330

I can't say the taste difference is huge, if at all. I suppose I just WANT the sear over coals to work. That said, though the quality and level of sear on the CI is head-and-shoulders above anything else it leaves me wanting something from the experience.

Thank you... Here's another vote for removing at a lower IT. And do I understand that like Charlie, you don't light a second chimney?
I have only lit a second chimney 1 time.
For me it is not required at all.
All it takes is to be ready and get that fire you already have prepped for the sear, it doesn't take very long for me to do that.

I am thinking on a Performer with gas it may be easier? Start your coals in a fairly full basket, SNS, BNS or vortex over the gas for a short time for the low and slow part. Remove meat, crank on the gas to get coals ripping, put meat back on over coals. I have not tried this yet as I just got the Performer. Comments welcome.

I'm gonna start lowering my indirect cook temp, try to get it down to 200* or less. That will give the steak more time to take on smoke flavor from a wood chunk.

On the Kettle, that would mean 8 to 10 briqs.

I'm gonna start lowering my indirect cook temp, try to get it down to 200* or less. That will give the steak more time to take on smoke flavor from a wood chunk.

On the Kettle, that would mean 8 to 10 briqs.
I like that idea I have the same issue. I usually start with too many coals for low and slow. Lynn is that a bomb shelter or bunker in your backyard?

I like that idea I have the same issue. I usually start with too many coals for low and slow. Lynn is that a bomb shelter or bunker in your backyard?

Yeah, I'm still a bit concerned with those B-17's flying over ............... but that's my what my Grandmother called a " Fraidy Hole " . Ya put one of those in the ground and it will guarantee your house to never be hit by a tornado, cuz you'll never have to use it ............hopefully.

Michael,

Glad to help. I never pay attention to the dome thermometer, I only go by my digital probe at grate level. Comparisons between the two can at times be inconsistent. That said, yes, I run at 325-350 for the initial cook, prior to the sear. It makes it quicker to get up to the searing temp later that way, and I have found, at least for me, that the results are the same as to when I was using a lower temp for the initial cook. This way, I don't need to add more lit charcoal later to bring up the fire for searing, I just hit the one that I have been using all along with the air blower to use it for searing. Saves time and charcoal that way.

As far as fuel usage, sounds like you got it, but I'll try my best to clarify a little further. My Slow and Sear stays in my Performer, and usually has left over charcoal from previous cooks in it. I leave that in (unlit), mainly because it will elevate the half chimney of fresh lit coals up higher to the grate, helping more with the final sear when it comes time for that. Hope that makes some sense. You don't need the unlit coals in there, I'm just cheap and reuse them, with the added benefit of raising the fire up a little higher.

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Charlie

Outstanding Charlie.. thank you.

I suppose it's as easy, or easier to stoke up the existing coals as it is to add fresh. As I ponder it, my concern would be a run-away burn, but if the first half of the cook was at 300+ I guess it doesn't really matter.

Like you, my SnS is always in one of my kettles.. the Summit or the 22. (I cut 1/2" off the top lip of the SNS so it fits in the Summit Charcoal, yet still works in the 22). And I nearly always have the base of unburnt coals you do. Hadn't considered just dusting them off and pouring the fresh coals over them. Rather, I scoop them out and relight in the chimney. Somewhat of a duh moment.

Regarding the dome thermo... I use only for the initial setup knowing it is about 50* over what the deck temp will be. Once the cook starts, I use the digital probe as well. I don't want to sear with my Meater probes since the temps will exceed Meater design parameters, so I switch to an instant read while doing the sear.

I like your simplicity.

On a different note... Any relationship to the Charlie Lewis who crafts custom straight razors?

Second chimney is great for getting timing down and no waiting and all that fun.
But if you have a nice load of charcoal already on there and it isn't all used up in the 40 minutes you indirect for then if it is good quality charcoal just leaving the lid off and the steak to the side will result in easy 500 degree coals in a short time.
I can get that jealous devil smoking hot in good time without starting the chimney up again.......
It looks like this....I could have had a harder sear if I really wanted it.

View attachment 32146
I do that when I'm cooking for people who like medium rare. Unfortunately, the Missus eats well done steak and the timing is a *****.

Her hockey puck gets a wonderful sear. By the time I can throw my steak on, the coals aren't always hot enough...and that's with a SnS and GrillGrates. I've gotten better at the timing, but having a spouse who insists on well-done, presents a challenge, timing-wise.

I stopped using the temp probes in my performer as of late.
Everything that gets cooked in it can be done by feel from my perspective.
Cooking a steak or wings or a chop or a picanha or anything like that can be cooked indirect and a close temp will do the job just as good as measuring.
Anything bigger than a beef roast is done using the E6 now, like ribs, butts and briskets ect. and I will use the grate temp mode when cooking like that.

Last edited:
Outstanding Charlie.. thank you.

I suppose it's as easy, or easier to stoke up the existing coals as it is to add fresh. As I ponder it, my concern would be a run-away burn, but if the first half of the cook was at 300+ I guess it doesn't really matter.

Like you, my SnS is always in one of my kettles.. the Summit or the 22. (I cut 1/2" off the top lip of the SNS so it fits in the Summit Charcoal, yet still works in the 22). And I nearly always have the base of unburnt coals you do. Hadn't considered just dusting them off and pouring the fresh coals over them. Rather, I scoop them out and relight in the chimney. Somewhat of a duh moment.

Regarding the dome thermo... I use only for the initial setup knowing it is about 50* over what the deck temp will be. Once the cook starts, I use the digital probe as well. I don't want to sear with my Meater probes since the temps will exceed Meater design parameters, so I switch to an instant read while doing the sear.

I like your simplicity.

On a different note... Any relationship to the Charlie Lewis who crafts custom straight razors?
My pleasure. I forgot to mention that I rake through the old coals with a Big Green Egg ash tool to knock the ash down into the pan. Awesome tool for that, lifting the coal ring in the WSMs to shake the ash off, picking up the grate, scraping between the Grill Grate fins, moving pans and such on the grills, etc.

I noticed some talk of running lower temps to add some smoke flavor to the steak, which is great if that's what you are going for. I personally run the higher temps to avoid the smoke flavor that may come from a stray chunk left in the old coals, as I don't really care for too much smoke flavor on my steak, in addition to allowing a quicker time to get to sear temps later as previously mentioned.

No relation to the Charlie Lewis of the custom razors, the Charles Lewis that supplied prostitutes and smoked crack with DC Mayor Marion Barry, nor the Charles Lewis AKA "Mask" of Tapout fame, sorry. :)

I find my 18 WSM to be a pretty good rev searer.

With the steaks up on the top grate, the distance and the vents make it is easy to keep the temperatures modest.

When sear time comes, put the grate down on the ring.

You can keep the fire in the very bottom. Or put the charcoal unit up on the water pan brackets. Either way, it is easy to quickly get the fire ripping.
Open vents, no lid, no door.

I find my 18 WSM to be a pretty good rev searer.

With the steaks up on the top grate, the distance and the vents make it is easy to keep the temperatures modest.

When sear time comes, put the grate down on the ring.

You can keep the fire in the very bottom. Or put the charcoal unit up on the water pan brackets. Either way, it is easy to quickly get the fire ripping.
Open vents, no lid, no door.

I have a post here somewhere on doing this. My first step back into charcoal was my WSM. I spent a lot of time tricking it out to be a decent charcoal grill and then bought a 22 kettle. Got that exactly how I want it and then bought the WSC. It's a slippery slope.

My pleasure. I forgot to mention that I rake through the old coals with a Big Green Egg ash tool to knock the ash down into the pan. Awesome tool for that, lifting the coal ring in the WSMs to shake the ash off, picking up the grate, scraping between the Grill Grate fins, moving pans and such on the grills, etc.

I noticed some talk of running lower temps to add some smoke flavor to the steak, which is great if that's what you are going for. I personally run the higher temps to avoid the smoke flavor that may come from a stray chunk left in the old coals, as I don't really care for too much smoke flavor on my steak, in addition to allowing a quicker time to get to sear temps later as previously mentioned.

No relation to the Charlie Lewis of the custom razors, the Charles Lewis that supplied prostitutes and smoked crack with DC Mayor Marion Barry, nor the Charles Lewis AKA "Mask" of Tapout fame, sorry. :)

I use the same tool. I have the Weber hoe but always reach for the BGE tool. Its' size is far more versatile.

I must admit, we aren't fans of a heavy smoke flavor, so the hotter cook is better for us.

Too bad on the first Charlie Lewis. I have been lusting after one of his straights for years. Missed my chance.
Good on the other Charlie Lewis's!

Her hockey puck gets a wonderful sear. By the time I can throw my steak on, the coals aren't always hot enough...and that's with a SnS and GrillGrates. I've gotten better at the timing, but having a spouse who insists on well-done, presents a challenge, timing-wise.

Glad I don't have that added challenge.

This was a very useful thread for me. Thank you all!!

All this talk about reverse sear and tonight I made two packs of wings for my daughter and her friends. Vortex wings on the WSC are just insane.

Back