Question for all the lump users

J Graz

TVWBB Super Fan
Yesterday I did my first lump cook. I used the Wicked Good lump. I used a full ring not sure how many pounds, but I packed it pretty good. I got 15 hours of steady temps averaging about 240*. I shut down the WSM at about 11pm. The next day I went to go clean out the WSM and found that there were a few pieces still smoldering. Also after seperating out the ash I found that I still have just under 4 pounds of unburned lump. Of that 4 pounds 2.5 of it is 4 very large very dense feeling chunks.
My questions:
1) Is it common to still have lump smoldering after that long?
2) Can that left over lump be reused?

Thanks guys in advance for your help.

1) i don't have that problem. maybe your WSM has a few big air leaks.i don't use WG though, i use RO.

2) yes it can! that is why i like lump over briquettes.

I can only get the cowboy at he HD near me. I have read some negative stuff about it and also found a small peice of a 2x4 in it along with some paper. I felt that was odd and after reading some stuff about this brand, I have never tried again.

I just use regular old K. I want to try lump again just need to find it. Is there a TVWBB consumer report on this? Vince B

Originally posted by Vince B:
I can only get the cowboy at he HD near me. I have read some negative stuff about it and also found a small peice of a 2x4 in it along with some paper. I felt that was odd and after reading some stuff about this brand, I have never tried again.

I just use regular old K. I want to try lump again just need to find it. Is there a TVWBB consumer report on this? Vince B

Vince they sell RO at Menards, the green bag which is Steakhouse which I have used and like.

Originally posted by Jeff_B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince B:

Vince they sell RO at Menards, the green bag which is Steakhouse which I have used and like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very cool thank you. Now another question. Is the royal oak and the steak house the same thing or two different brands? Sorry I'm a lumpnubie!

Originally posted by Vince B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince B:

Vince they sell RO at Menards, the green bag which is Steakhouse which I have used and like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very cool thank you. Now another question. Is the royal oak and the steak house the same thing or two different brands? Sorry I'm a lumpnubie! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is Royal Oak brand. I don't know what the difference is between RO lump and RO steakhouse lump is other than the color of the bag.
Check out this link, RO is down a ways on the list.
http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Thanks Jeff. I never in my life thought there were so many companies making this stuff. I will hit up Menards in Glendale HTS to pick some up. Vince B

I would have to say it is not normal for it still to be smoldering. It is normal to have left over lump though and it is definately re usable as Tony has said.

Clark

difference is between RO Lump and RO Steakhouse Lump

No difference in product. Menards wanted to avoid confusing customers who grabbed an orange RO bag, thinking they were getting RO Lump, but got RO briquettes instead, and vice versa. So at Menard's request, RO introduced green bag "Steakhouse Lump" to avoid mixups.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
1) i don't have that problem. maybe your WSM has a few big air leaks.

Thanks When I say still smoldering that may be a bit of an overstatment. Some of the bigger pieces leftover still felt little warm thats all.

Thanks Tony and Clark

I'll second what Tony C said near the beginning.

I use my water pan, and don't get that sort of burn time, but I always have some left-over charcoal at the end (mine is always cold by the next day).

Originally posted by doug ep:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> difference is between RO Lump and RO Steakhouse Lump

No difference in product. Menards wanted to avoid confusing customers who grabbed an orange RO bag, thinking they were getting RO Lump, but got RO briquettes instead, and vice versa. So at Menard's request, RO introduced green bag "Steakhouse Lump" to avoid mixups. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the tip. I went there today and forgot what you had said. When I could not fine the red bag of lump I was disappointed. I grabbed the green bag instead. Just reading now I did just fine! Smokers going with some ribs and now I just need to make sure I'm doing it right!

how does Lazarri work on the WSM?

I have tried Royal Oak, and I dont like how quick it burns. Lazarri is more like peices of actuall wood.

Beverages and more sell the huge bags.

anyone try this?

Did my first Lazzari lump WSM cook a couple of weeks ago on some boneless beef short ribs. Nice light mesquite flavor and was able to keep heat for the 2-3 hours of the short cook. Very little ash. Haven't done any longer cooks yet.

Have used mesquite lump on the grill (SJS and OTP) with good results. It gets *very* hot and very little ash.

The usual complaints of sparking while starting in the chimney doesn't seem to bother me.

It's my go to charcoal now; with Ranchers/TJ's as backup (when I can find it).

Back