Question For all Long Island TVWBB’ers

Chris AA

What stores/ butchers do you use for packer briskets? I’m in Nassau, but willing to travel for a decent cut of meat.

This site was a major reason I decided last week to finally ditch my gasser and jump on the Amazon $179 WSM deal, in hopes of being able to run overnight without constant adjustment, and to improve my very mediocre brisket. Unfortunately, my first WSM smoke failed on both fronts- I’m hoping I’ll be through the learning period on the smoker fairly soon, but I’m also begining to think that after my brisket turned out like it always does- stringy and fall apart around the outside of flat and dry in the middle, that the select packers I’m getting from Western Beef are part of my problems.

Any suggestions that don’t involve the special order and $4.50/lb. my local butcher wants? Thanks from a new guy.

I am out east in suffolk county. I use Meat Farms (on 112 in Patchogue and there is another on Portion Road in Ronkonkoma) for my brisket and pork shoulder. The brisket comes in a cryovac package. I buy my ribs in Costco. Everything I have smoked from Meat Farms has come out great.

I use Restaurant Depot for briskets and butts. I like the babybacks better at Costco. The packer I did last weekend was $1.59/lb.

Hi Bob, (thanks for the beef rib feedback)

I checked out rest depot online and you need a business license.... Is that true?

I mostly go to bj's for ribs and butt, and supermarket for chicken, turkey, etc. Still have not found packer trimmed brisket, but did see flats at bj's with a nice fat cap on them..i think i will give the flat a try.

James has the right idea. Even if you guys can't find a packer brisket, look for flats that have a good fat cap and aren't all red. Gotta have some white fat to render out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ernest Buckley:
Hey Guys,
I`m in Brooklyn which is technically part of LI...
I go to Landis (www.brooklynporkstore.com) for most of my meats. Baby Backs run $5.99 lb.

However, I have had good results with the ribs, lamb chops and pork shoulder from BJs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ernest, I know prices are more in NY but did you ever price the Baby Backs at BJ's. I buy all my Baby Backs at BJ's here in PA for $2.99 a lb. They are fantasic. Just asking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I checked out rest depot online and you need a business license.... Is that true? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a membership for my business, but I know of people that go in and ask for a guest pass at the front desk. They've been successful, so you should give it a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a membership for my business, but I know of people that go in and ask for a guest pass at the front desk. They've been successful, so you should give it a try. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks guys- I have family in Suffolk, and there is a Meat Farms By them that I will check out. Also have a Restaurant Depot right around the corner, so hopefully the "guest pass" will pan out, and they don't keep a careful list of their "guests."

There is a Restaurant Depot not too far from me. I will definitely give it a shot. Hopefully the guest pass idea will work.

Back