Question Concerning Cooking without Water

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
I'm going to do my first waterless long cook this weekend. I'm doing four pork butts and three fatties. I'm thinking since the hottest temps will be on the lower grill rather than at the lid should I put my grate temperature probe on the bottom rack versus the normal top rack???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
I'm going to do my first waterless long cook this weekend. I'm doing four pork butts and three fatties. I'm thinking since the hottest temps will be on the lower grill rather than at the lid should I put my grate temperature probe on the bottom rack versus the normal top rack??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what is going to be in the water pan? how are you planning on setting the water pan up?

Paul

Don't forget to suspend the foil off the bottom of the pan so you don't have a problem with the grease burning. We always just refer to a "foil lined pan" without going further.

Paul

Good point Paul. paul, you might not see much of a temp difference. Much depends on how evenly you spread your lit and how evenly all light. Unlike sand, there isn't a lot of pan to absorb heat and then radiate. It's a bit more direct. I monitor the lower grate when low/slowing with an empty pan.

Call me confused, but why are you going to cook with an empty pan? What is the desire result you are after?
Jamie

Jamie, not using water allows me to get up to cooking temps quicker and use less fuel. I give up some things by doing it this way. Tried a short cook without water and it worked out ok. Last time I used water had to refill at least twice and that was with a Brinkmann pan.

Many of us who use the Guru cook with an empty pan. The method that works well for me is to crumple up about 3 sheets of aluminum foil into a ball, uncrumple the foil, place them in the water pan and then place a full sheet of HD foil over the pan. The crumpled foil assists with shielding the heat. That is the method that was recommended by Shotgun Fred. I've often wondered how that method would work without using the Guru. Let us know how it works out. It should definitely help conserve fuel. The real question is whether or not temperature control becomes more problematic.

Back