question about vents

Chris Sully

TVWBB Member
I am using my smoker for the first time tomorrow and making 4 racks of ribs.

The recipe says open the bottom vents 33%.

Does that mean I only open 1 all the way or do I open each a little bit?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Each a little bit. Some do just use one, and that can work, but I think it's best to learn vent control by using all of them, at least at the beginning.

If there's a breeze, however, and it's coming from a direction and targeting a vent, closing that vent prevents the breeze from causing problems. But, again, to learn vent control, if there's a breeze (or if one is likely or expected) setting up a makeshift windscreen to block it allows you to use all three vents.

Awesome, Thanks.

I will let you know how it goes.

A little nervous since, somehow, my parents and Granddad got invited.

Worst comes to worst there will be plenty of homemade mac and cheese, beans and corn bread.

You'll do fine Chris. I agree with Kevin. The wind can affect temps. I have gotten lazy I guess and have gone to mostly using one vent for low and slow. I started using it in the wind and it worked well, so I stuck with it. It is probably a good idea to use all three though. I should also add that for me low and slow is 250 or so, a little higher than some, but what the hey.
icon_razz.gif
Good luck.

I would also make sure that you do not use very much lit coal to start. And i run my vents at 0% open for ribs, but think I finnally have my WSM sealed enough where it will put the fire out at 0%.

Don't get focus on precise settings. Each WSM is a little different. What works well at 33% for one, will not for others.

Agree with the others, adjusting all 3 is generally best. Start with minor corrections. Remember, it won't react immediately.

Unless you're an experienced smoker, I don't recommend doing a 'first cook' for guests. It's just too much pressure for first timers trying to learn.

So ... good luck, relax, don't panic, and feel free to 'call' us.
icon_wink.gif

Back