question about smoking with wood chips

Pinny

TVWBB Super Fan
I frequently see a debate about whether or not to soak wood chips before tossing them onto your coals. Those who are in favor of soaking say that you should do it because otherwise the chips will flame up instead of smoldering. What's the big deal if they flame up though?

Thanks,
Pinny

I haven't used them much but my guess is that if they smolder, the wood chips would last longer whereby providing you with a good duration of consistent smoke. If they flare up - they smoke and then they're gone in just a few minutes. I think a way around it is to either soak them or use a cast iron smoker box

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris from OHIO:
I haven't used them much but my guess is that if they smolder, the wood chips would last longer whereby providing you with a good duration of consistent smoke. If they flare up - they smoke and then they're gone in just a few minutes. I think a way around it is to either soak them or use a cast iron smoker box </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris is right. Soaking will prolong the smoke. As suggested you can use a cast iron pot an aluminum foil packet to increase the smoke without soaking. Any of the three ways will work with chips.

Pinny
I think that if you soak your wood chips to much and they smolder a lot you get an off taste sort of bitter I only soak my chips for 15 min.

i hardly use chips but soak for at least 15 minutes. i use foil and just poke a couple of holes thus limiting the oxygen and burn rate. dry chips will not smoke much but just burn up quickly. but really, ya need to try differant methods yerself and see what works the best for you.

I hardly use chips "prefur chunks" and yes- I soak chips if using and still keep an eye on them as they will suddenly flame up and cause an inferno and torch your meat.

Back