Question about short ribs

JMorgan

I have some beef short ribs, NOT cut korean style (through the bone) but cut "normal" (?) perpendicular to the bone with larger, thicker chunks of meat. My question is would I treat this more like steak with a quicker sear/cook or do I treat them more like brisket with longer cook times and foiling/braising to render connective tissue and make them tender? I'm leaning toward the latter. If that is correct, can anyone suggest times and temps? I would assume a standard 3-2-1 at 250-275 might be a good place to start. I plan on doing some baby backs with them (I do them 2-1-1 at 250-275). Need some ribs this saturday to help celebrate Nebraska's big upset over Texas.

Thanks!

Agreed- better to braise them, as the moisture helps to break down the tough connective tissue better than smoke and low temperatures will (at least, in my opinion). The quick sear will yeild chewy, stringy, fatty unpleasantness.

Do you think the 2 hours of foiling in the 3-2-1 with some added liquid would be enough? Or are we talking crockpot type of braising here?

they are great braised but braising ain't my thing. i indirect cook them on my kettle. i cook them at about 275 grate temp intil they are soft doing the probe test. make sure you check the smaller ones earlier as they get done sooner. i used some chunks for smoke and they came out great. they do shrink a bit doing this no biggy.

Back