Question about port fowarding and multiple IP address

John Bostwick

TVWBB Wizard
I have somewhat of a odd question and wanted to know if there was a way to set it up. Where I live I have a Modem/Router----->Netgear router-------->Wireless-N router---->My computer(big house)I know how to set up the port forwarding to be able to have the Heatermeter connected to the Wireless-N wifi, just by opening port on each router to point to the next router and so on and it works great. I want to know if their was a way to open port 80 on my Netgear and have the heatermeter connected to it, if I should choose. The problem is that you can not use port forwarding using different IP addresses with the same port. Example. If I add the following to the port forwarding : IP-192.168.1.11 port 80 and that will direct the connection to my Wireless-n router and there I would open port 80 to the Heatermeter using its port forwarding.

But lets say I want to add this port forward to the Netgear and have the heatermeter connect to its WiFi: IP 192.168.1.15 port 80. It wont let me until I remove the port forwarding to the Wireless-N router.

I guess my question is how would I be able to connect the Heatermeter to either the Wireless-n WiFi or to the Netgears WiFi without having to redo the port forwarding rules each time. I probably wont need to switch often if at all. I just wanted to know if it was possible to do it.

Or what if I have multiple Heatermeters that I want to be able to port forward to?

Last edited:
I don't think it works that way. Because you only have one actually IP address. So your outside ip address is what the ISP assigns you so you can have only one possible port 80 connection coming into or out the router. The router can only forward the connection to one device if not it would get confused on which device should receive the connection.

I think your best bet would be to simply change the port on each hetermeter 80,81,ect then you would just have to type 192.1.1.1:81 into a browser to connect. They could even use the same ip address and if you are connecting from outside your network you would use the same url or ip you would normally, just using a different port number on the end of the address.

Last edited:
I don't think it works that way. Because you only have one actually IP address. So your outside ip address is what the ISP assigns you so you can have only one possible port 80 connection coming into or out the router. The router can only forward the connection to one device if not it would get confused on which device should receive the connection.

I think your best bet would be to simply change the port on each hetermeter 80,81,ect then you would just have to type 192.1.1.1:81 into a browser to connect. They could even use the same ip address and if you are connecting from outside your network you would use the same url or ip you would normally, just using a different port number on the end of the address.

That's what I want to do is change the port that the heatermeter uses , instead of 80 change it to 81 or what ever. I know port 433 is the Https and I tried that and I get a cert check and then nothing. The only port that works is the Http port 80.

Now, what you explained is correct in what you said but that's not exactly correct either. Your modem has an outside IP address mine is a 67.000.00.00 number. Then the Modem/router assigns an IP address to whatever is connected to it in my instance it is a 10.0.0.2. That IP address happens to be a Netgear router which it will assign IP addresses using 192.168.1.11 IPs. That IP address happens to be my Wireless-N router and then it give its own IP address of 192.168.0.1 IP addresses.

As long as I open the port 80 on each router and have it forward to the next router in the chain I can put the heatermeter on any router I choose, except I would have to reroute the forwarding port to the IP that the heatermeter is attached to the router. Its a pain to have to do that and if IO want to have more then 1 heatermeter attached to the network, you cant assign port 80 to multiple IP addresses and that's something else I would like to figure out how to do. It would be easy If I could change the port on each.

I know of port triggering(from searching) but im not sure How to set that up correctly or even if that's what I need

Edit:Lol, I know our Network setup is not the norm, I live with Roommates and We all have multiple computers, TVs, PS3, Phones and other network connecting things. My room is to far away from the main router and I originally had a 4 port switch in my room that worked great except I could not get a good connection for my phone using WiFi. So I bought a 25 dollars WiFi router, that works great. The only router I wish we would get rid of would be the one Comcrap has on the Modem. I just never really got around to getting my roommate to call Comcrap to get them to turn it off. And I know Multiple Nats giving out IP addresses is also not great. But if you ever lived with Roommates, lol, its a pain to get others to understand that concept. But like said everything works great as is

Last edited:
I don't understand your network at all, I think you are making the network much more complicated then it needs to be with multiple routers running DHCP services.

Port triggering may work but it only opens on an outbound connection request.

Last edited:
As it's been mentioned, it really seems like you're over complicating your situation.

You should have only 1 device handing out IP addresses and you should have only 1 device doing the port forwarding. It sounds like you have multiple routers to extend the range of your wireless networks (ie: using them as APs rather than routers).

The 10.0.0.0/24 network is where all of your devices should live. Instead of connecting the ethernet cable to the WAN port on each router, connect it to one of the LAN ports. Give each router a static IP ie 10.0.0.241, 10.0.0.242, 10.0.0.243 so you can manage each of them, and then turn off the DHCP server on each router. Now you have a nice flat network with a single gateway and you can you only have to configure port forwarding in 1 location.

Your internal network is the big issue, you have 3 or 4 different networks with firewalls keeping traffic separate that you don't want separated. You could have a ton of routing rules to cover what you ask, but if you had equipment with that capability & set it up properly, you wouldn't have this issue. I had a similar setup of Modem/Router/wifi->Router/wifi->router/wifi extender & had all kinds of weird problems. Also, my DSL modem/router didn't support NAT loopback, so I couldn't use a DNS hostname while connected to my network, had to use the internal IP. I now have the modem/router set to modem only, main router doing only routing/DHCP + switching & then an AP (outside) covering my whole property. It's much simpler, easier to diagnose issues & I only have 2 devices to manage.

Yeah, like I said though there is not much I can do about the different routers and stuff and as it stands we don't have any conflicts and the 50down1up service works great.

Regardless, of how many routers I have, how would you set up more then one Heatermeter on a network and have outside access to each heatermeter. I have NoIP now, but like I said earlier you can only forward one IP with port 80 regardless how many routers.

How would I set up another Heatermeter with a it looking for a different port beside port 80 or how would I use port 433 secured port

Yeah, like I said though there is not much I can do about the different routers and stuff and as it stands we don't have any conflicts and the 50down1up service works great.

Regardless, of how many routers I have, how would you set up more then one Heatermeter on a network and have outside access to each heatermeter. I have NoIP now, but like I said earlier you can only forward one IP with port 80 regardless how many routers.

How would I set up another Heatermeter with a it looking for a different port beside port 80 or how would I use port 433 secured port

Does your ISP filter inbound ports? If not, then just map something like inbound 8001 to hm1:80, 8002 to hm2:80, 8003 to hm3:80

Back