Question about painting a kettle handle

SamK

TVWBB Member
A while back I bought a red EE MT on CL (holy acronyms!) that was in great shape aside from the fact that at some point in time the owner had put a cheap plastic handle in place of the top handle. I ended up getting a Weber fireplace handle and bolting it in place but now I need to patint it red. So here's my question...

Does anyone have any experience with painting handles? I've been trying to find some high heat red paint near me to no avail and before I order some I'm wondering if I really need it. Any advice? I had the thought that perhaps I could at the very least prime it with a high heat paint and then put some non-high heat red on top of it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

The entire handle set-up. I'll try to post a picture later today but picture the unpainted steel handle from a Weber fireplace on top of the grill.

2r7rbx3.jpg

You just want to paint the metal , right?
did you try auto zone? Or any auto parts place for that matter. Engine paint .
maybe the automotive section of wal mart or target?

Last edited:
I haven't but I can. If I don't need high-heat paint there's a Home Depot 2 minutes away from my house.

I would use high heat paint just to be safe, but Home Depot should carry it. They carry grill paint and some high heat engine paint as well if you want red

Use a High Gloss Red Caliper paint. Rustoleum makes one. If HD doesn't carry it Harbor Freight Tools does. Has higher temperature durability than engine paint, and should be a fairly close match in finish to your kettle.

And while we're on the subject , I wonder if you even need high heat paint. How hot does that metal get when you're cooking? If I had a can of plain old red rustoleum around I'd be tempted to try that. Worst case it'll blister and maybe you have yo go high heat next time.

And come to think on it , why do you need to paint that metal red anyway? It looks good just like it is. Is it chromed , or do you think it's going to rust up right away?. If it was me , I think I'd leave it natural til you see if it needs paint....you can always do it later. Is it an esthetic weber thing that the metal has to match the lid? Just askin...

Last edited:
Yeah I want it to match the other handle. Right now it doesn't look bad but its glaringly obvious that the handle has been replaced and I'd love to change that.

And while we're on the subject , I wonder if you even need high heat paint. How hot does that metal get when you're cooking? ... Just askin...

The metal handle on my 1950's wood dale gets uncomfortably hot, so I don't think applying ordinary paint would be a good use of one's time as you'd very likely have to sand it down and repaint down the road. Admittedly, the same could happen with a high heat paint, but one would think the chances of it lasting would be higher.

Back