question about obtaining parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Mc

TVWBB Super Fan
I just got off the phone this morning with Weber.
I wanted to put S/S ash sweepers on my grills and also wanted to purchase the all silver color ash catcher bucket on my maroon (not black bucket)
Now they said that they cannot sell me something that is not original to the grill. So my question is, How the heck do I go about obtaining this stuff? I know I can get the sweepers online, but how do I get new ash bucket assy.? (multiple ones)

Thanks for any help.

sadly, you have to lie
icon_frown.gif

or you can buy on ebay - however the ebay sellers are still selling the black buckets.

Weber did the same thing to me when I wanted a thermometer for a kettle that I bought on CL. I went on-line and found a local weber dealer, went and ordered it from them for the same price. They charged me a whole $1.50 for shipping.

I stripped the black paint off the ash catcher bucket on mine. Took all about 30 minutes. Perfectly silver now.
icon_cool.gif

No need to lie. Just keep calling until you get the rep who will sell it to you. In 2010 I bought a brick red bowl and lid for a SS performer I got on CL. Got a cooperative rep on the second try.

Originally posted by Louie G:
I stripped the black paint off the ash catcher bucket on mine. Took all about 30 minutes. Perfectly silver now.
icon_cool.gif

It is just paint. I have a spot or two on mine on my performer where the paint has chipped and now it is just the bare metal.

Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
No need to lie. Just keep calling until you get the rep who will sell it to you. In 2010 I bought a brick red bowl and lid for a SS performer I got on CL. Got a cooperative rep on the second try.

I'd like to upgrade my silver to a gold too. Since I already have a Performer registered with them, which of course has the parts I want, will they sell me an ash catcher assembly with no questions asked? Or might I have to lie and tell them mine is busted? I also want to buy the lid bale assembly, therm and bezel and turn my silver into a Mastertouch.

I know it might be old fashioned but I'm not going to lie to them.
icon_razz.gif

I ordered a gold ash catcher for a silver to gold upgrade from "weber closeouts" on ebay ($30 for the 18.5" assy). It was an aluminum colored one (i.e. not painted black). This was just 3 weeks ago.

Mark if you own a performer and need those parts for another grill they should send them to you no problem. I got quite a few parts from them with no hassle just because they saw my 26' was registered and still under warranty. You could tell them the parts are broken. Only issue may be if they ask for photos like they did before they sent me a new bowl.

Thanks, Terry. I'm not judging anyone, I just don't' feel comfortable lying to them myself. It's just the way I roll.
icon_wink.gif

I was just wondering if since I did own a grill that has those parts would they sell me the parts without a hassle or the need to get the customer service person that doesn't ask questions.

Originally posted by Ken Mc:
what did you use Louie??? was it paint or anodize?? If you know.

I forgot what it was, but came in a can. I think it was a heavy duty paint remover, gel like consistency. I had to wear like 5 rubber gloves and still got burned by it.

I used Jasco paint and epoxy remover. Poured it on and let it eat the black paint away. It turned all rubbery and peeled off. There were some spots where I had to scrape harder. But it came clean. My wife just rolled her eyes and couldnt grasp why I was doing this. I agree that the all silver look mesh's better with the reds, blues, greens, and maroons. The black bowl looks fine on the black kettles, but not on the colors IMO.

Originally posted by Mark Schnell:
Thanks, Terry. I'm not judging anyone, I just don't' feel comfortable lying to them myself. It's just the way I roll.
icon_wink.gif

I was just wondering if since I did own a grill that has those parts would they sell me the parts without a hassle or the need to get the customer service person that doesn't ask questions.

No problem Mark, I didn't have to tell stories to get my parts. The bowl had heat damage so they sent me a new one along with a new ash catcher assembly. I'd have a bit of a problem lying about it too!

we've had this discussion here before, with the same results

i hate lying too. it disgusts me.

but there's a big difference between fibbing ones way into BUYING a part and lying to get free parts

i see jackwads on craigslist all the time selling brand new bowls and brand new lids.
they buy their grill, find an imperfection, and call weber for replacement.
but rather than using the replacement part, they sell it. cash in their pocket

that, in my opinion, is far worse than BSing my way into PAYING WEBER for a part.

calling back repeatedly is still taking advantage of a rep who doesn't know better. You're aware of that. It's still cheating the system. Plus you're wasting even more of weber's money by spending so many minutes of their customer service reps.

buy the parts on ebay, from someone who lied their way into being able to buy them.

the end result is always the same.

Originally posted by TroyRedington:
sadly, you have to lie
icon_frown.gif

or you can buy on ebay - however the ebay sellers are still selling the black buckets.

That's funny. I replaced the one on my OTG. It was silver. I painted it black.

Originally posted by TroyRedington:
we've had this discussion here before, with the same results

i hate lying too. it disgusts me.

but there's a big difference between fibbing ones way into BUYING a part and lying to get free parts

i see jackwads on craigslist all the time selling brand new bowls and brand new lids.
they buy their grill, find an imperfection, and call weber for replacement.
but rather than using the replacement part, they sell it. cash in their pocket

that, in my opinion, is far worse than BSing my way into PAYING WEBER for a part.

calling back repeatedly is still taking advantage of a rep who doesn't know better. You're aware of that. It's still cheating the system. Plus you're wasting even more of weber's money by spending so many minutes of their customer service reps.

buy the parts on ebay, from someone who lied their way into being able to buy them.

the end result is always the same.

100% agree Troy - I put my new bowl on and gave my mom the old one. We spray painted it and she's going to use it as a planter.

Yea, I don't understand why they won't sell you parts. I have to make up some crap to get them to "SELL" me something. I'm not trying to rip anyone off, I just want to purchase something. Some of those reps act like the money comes out of their pocket, they are real Nazi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back