Question about grills with 13 flavorizer bars

Dale L. in N. Ga.

TVWBB Member
When did weber quit using 13 flavorizer bars? I'm in the market for an older weber gas grill (genesis 1000 etc.) and I think I want 13 bars instead of 5. Any opinions?

I don't think there is a performance difference. The 13 bar grill takes a bit longer to heat up because there are more bars shielding the heat. And the 13 bars are quite a bit more expensive to replace than the 5 bars. The advantage less flare ups.
I also like the slightly higher working height of the grate area compared to the later 5 bar open cart models of the Silver and Gold. It is only about 1" but for tall folks every inch counts.
Also I like the fact that you get or build versions with wood slats vs the more carefree but more ugly grey plastic slats.
I currently have a 5 bar 2005 Platinum C and plan to build me another 13 bar Genesis 1000 which I already have most the parts for. As for the bars I am going to get the ones from RCPlanebuyer. They seem to be the best out there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Weber-Stai...rentrq:a543e1781680a9c162082a88ffe6ccbf|iid:1

Thanks for the info. I'm in the market for a weber so I guess I'll take whichever one I can run across first. I was going to purchase a new one but while researching it seems like I would be better off getting an older one even if I have to restore it. I hate that Weber has decided to build the new ones overseas.

Yup, they don't make em like they used to and sometimes you can get the older ones for free or dirt cheap!

Having owned both I don't really notice much if any performance difference. Though one thing some like is on the 13 bar if you remove the top layer and you want to rotisserie something larger in diameter, there is a little more working height

As far as performance goes, I would say the 1000 has it there due to deeper fire box allowing a bit more distance from the flames to the grates along with the extra flavorizer bars to distribute the heat better. You can always take the extra 8 bars out if want more clearance for something like a rotisserie as well. But, I dont think it is all that big of difference between that and the Silver B. It might come down more to the thermoset tables on the Silver series vs the wood/durawood on the 1000's.

Either style would serve you very well and if rehabbed well, will probably last you longer than a brand new one.

Its a product that has no equal readily available. It is to of the line and while you will pay for his grates, they are the best available that I know of.
They are probably overkill for a lot of weekend grillers, but if you really like to grill and do so regularly, then they are worth the money. Seems like about a thousand people agree.

Bruce I think they are just perfect for the weekend grillers as well. If people don’t use the grills that often and keep them covered they will build up moisture. These bars won’t rust. The enameled will eventually.

I don't disagree with you Bruce. He probably has sold more than a thousand as he might have had other listings in the past and probably sold plenty away from Ebay. It's just amazing that there's a lot of people who are interested in rehabbing their grill. It's great!

Back