Question about food storage

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am going out of town on Thursday. Where I am going we are having a party on Saturday. I am supplying Smoked Brisket for the party. If I smoke it at home on Wednesday, how should I store it? I'm thinking that I do not slice it. Seal it in Food Storage bags and freeze it. Then let sit in fridge from Thursday to Staurday to defrost. Then reheat it wrapped in foil in a 300 degree oven for awhile. Is this the best plan?

I don't see any reason to freeze it if you will be eating it a few days later.

Jeff-

Only thing I would add is you might want to add some liquid to the foil package when you reheat. Broth, beer, whatever.... That will mess with your bark some, but it'll keep it from drying out.

Agree with Jason that if you are cooking Wed and eating Sat there is no reason to freeze (unless logistics are easier that way.)

HTH,
Rich G.

When you say seal it and freeze it in food storage bags, it sounds like you may be talking about a Foodsaver. If you have it available and don't mind using your bags, I imagine vacuum sealing, even if you don't need to freeze, would be better in so far as keeping it from drying out. You should certainly add the moisture when you reheat.

Paul

Thx everyone, yes I thought freezing would make it easier and safer to travel with.

jeff....

If you seal, don't open that bag! Reheat by placing in some water and then boiling. I have founds this is the best way to reheat my brisket and pork butt.

If you put a frozen 1 lb. bag in a pot of room temp water, it will be ready by time the water comes to a full boil.

It seals in ALL the flavor and moisture. PLUS....when you open that bag, the kitchen will fill with a most excellent aroma!

Kevin

I'm going to be smoking 3, maybe 4 butts this weekend, pulling and vacuum freezing to take to my hunting camp next weekend to feed approx 20 people.
1. Do you think that's enough meat for 20 big eaters.
2. Is it best to freeze this amount in smaller quanties, 1 lb., 2lbs. ...
3. Is reheating in boiling water the best way considering the total amount I'll need to have ready at one time.

Thanks,

Paul

Kevin, another question. Would you slice it before sealing? I would think it would be better to leave whole. Also, do you double seal for safety?

Thx

Paul G.

I did this last year with 3 butts and i sealed them up in foodsavers whole, you could just pull the bone. Then put them in simmering water for a hour and a half before I wanted them ready and then pulled them. Worked great for me.

Paul......

If you have 20 big eaters I would plan 1/2 lb. for each. That means you will need 20 lbs. of raw butts. Those will cook down to 10 lbs. of finished meat. So, cook 4, 7 lbers. and you should have plenty. You may be able to squeek by with 3, but I would do 4 just to be safe.

I like to freeze in portioned amounts just so I don't have to open a 5 lb. bag to use 1/2 lb.

Yes, I have re-heated 5-7 lb. bags all the time. It will take longer obviously, but is still the best way to do it. With those larger bags you will need to use a very big pot!

jeffr......

I always slice or pull BEFORE freezing. Couple of reasons...portion control as I explained to Paul above. Also, hard to fit a whole brisket or butt into the FS bag.

I'm sure you can do it whole but plan on much longer time to reheat completely thru. Darrell has had success with this wayand it took him 1 1/2hr. to reheat.

I try not to boil the BBQ I save in Foodsaver bags. At 212F, boiling water cooks the food and it's already cooked to perfection when it goes in the bag. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Typically I toss the bag into a pot of cold water, turn on the stove and when it begins to boil I turn off the heat and let the meat warm gradually in the hot but not boiling water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back