question about eating raw pork sausage

i've heard of charcoal capsules you can swallow to perhaps to help from getting as sick... then again I was never quite clear w/ the job there suppose to do. personally that doesn't sound good to me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soliman:
My wife ate some raw pork sausge inside a calzone tonight. Should we have any concern? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If, by concern, you mean parasites, I doubt it, given modern processing methods and standards. If you mean food-borne illness from bacteria, the cure used in most sausage would suppress microbial activity to a large degree. If she ate more than a very small amount of it, and then decided it smelled or tasted rotten, I'd be concerned. Charcoal tablets or powder are administered to absorb certain chemical poisons in the stomach, and their use in such situations should be under medical supervision. I don't think they are applicable to this case.

I am under the impression, that the trichina worm parasite has been virtually eliminated. This is the parasite responsible for trichinosos which was the main fear in undercooked pork. This is the reason you can now cook pork to a light pink center with no fear. I think she will be OK. You also have to remember, not ALL pork would have had it present, even during it's heyday! Not ALL chicken has salmonella. I am not certain what the odds are, but you could probably eat the raw chicken in your refrigerator right now, and be fine!!! Don't try it though!

PS . Here is some further inof on Trichinae

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/t.../docs/fact_sheet.htm

Calzone??? Rick you should stick to Q'n!!!

Hope they are both ok!!!
icon_cool.gif

Back