Question about compititions...

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Regarding BBQ competitions is it against the rules to use a recipe that isn?t yours, from a cookbook for example? I?m not saying to claim the recipe as yours, but just to even use it. I would think it would be, but I would think almost impossible to enforce. To me part of the fun of compititions would to pit your cooking skill and your recipe against others.

Dale-

I noticed you didn't get a reply yet... I know that in KCBS competitions, there is no rule about recipes other than you must cook over wood, wood coals, or wood charcoal (no electric or gas heat.) KCBS is all blind judging, so there is no opportunity for anyone to determine the cooks' exact method and recipe.

It usually comes down to cooking/Q'ing skills. If you give 10 cooks the same recipe, they'll turn in 10 different products.

I don't know for sure about the other sanctioning bodies (MIM, FBA, ABA...), but I would guess that the same is true. That's why lots of competition cooks are very protective of their secret methods, ingredients, etc.

HTH,
Rich G.

Hi Dale - you can see the KCBS rules by clicking here and going to the section "About KCBS." There are no restrictions on using other people's recipes, rubs, sauces, etc. It's like Rich said, cooking a brisket for 18 hours doesn't depend so much on the recipe as on the skill and judgement of the cook to prep and rub the meat, manage the fire, mop or not mop, foil or not to foil, tell when it's done, and present it to the judges.

Thanks guys, I would agree with the Qer being the most important factor. Just curious is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back