question about bbq pits with offset fire boxes....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by russell swift:
Larry, do you recommend any rib racks that hold 6? I've got a decent rib rack almost identical to yours that I bought on clearance from Williams Sonoma years ago and wish I bought multiple racks. Also never really thought about putting ribs on the lower grate--any changes to the overall cook with both grates slammed full? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one I have is the same one you got from WS! I too wish I had gotten more!! Any rib rack will work, but I'd shoot for the ones with higher dividers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billm:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Meneou:
Let me start off by saying that I really like my WSM and my UDS for the ease of use but after about 2 years of using the WSM and about 1 year with the drum I've come to a conclusion. I firmly believe that I cook a better brisket on my cheap Chargriller offset. My method on the CG is to place the brisket as far as possible from the firebox with the point end closest to the firebox.I think the direct heat on the point helps it cook while "protecting" the flat from the direct heat at the same time. My son came over Memorial weekend to watch the races and he commented on the brisket I cooked that weekend that the latest ones just didn't seem to be as good as what I used to make.That got me to thinking that the only difference was that I've hardly used the CG the last two years, so I fired it up yesterday and cooked a 12 lb'er like I used to with Kingsford and oak wood. Although it was very labor intensive I have to admit I enjoyed tending the fire and the meat tasted a lot more like what they used to taste like.

Obviously this is one mans opinion and I may be completely off my rocker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
your not crazy..i feel the same way in regards to my my old NB Black Diamond and the WSM
WSM is great for pork butts because it runs all night with out any really fire tending but the q on my offset in regards to taste and color always seems better to me on my offset .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I appreciate it but maybe your just as crazy as I am... I think I'm going to spend a little more time cooking with the CG to see if I'm right or if it was a one time thing.

I've had a Klose offset for a few years along with the WSM , both have their pros and cons. The WSM is very easy so set it and forget it , but when I'm cooking in cold windy weather the offset seems to hold that temp so much better. Alot of times I'm cooking butts ,poultry ,and 40 lbs of beef jerky all in different ends. When it comes time to clean up it's the WSM hands down . It's probably not which cooker you have but the value and fun we all get out of them isn't that why we're here .

I can understand what Dave is saying about the "Romance" of the bbq. I want to get into catering on a small scale and see how it goes. I have a Jumbo BDS which will do the trick in the early stages but looking down the road I dont know what I will want/need. A second BDS is possible and I do think that people are impressed when watching them cook but I have also considered a Stumps gravity smoker. Problem is I dont think they offer the "romance" factor Dave wrote of.

I agree Steve. We had a 17 ft long offset that cooked like crap but people liked checking it out. It looked the part. My Spicewine looks like a mini fridge but what comes out of it is really good. Wind,rain, hot, or cold, doesnt matter to my smoker.
To me that is more important than looks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Meneou:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Billm:
Let me start off by saying that I really like my WSM and my UDS for the ease of use but after about 2 years of using the WSM and about 1 year with the drum I've come to a conclusion. I firmly believe that I cook a better brisket on my cheap Chargriller offset. My method on the CG is to place the brisket as far as possible from the firebox with the point end closest to the firebox.I think the direct heat on the point helps it cook while "protecting" the flat from the direct heat at the same time. My son came over Memorial weekend to watch the races and he commented on the brisket I cooked that weekend that the latest ones just didn't seem to be as good as what I used to make.That got me to thinking that the only difference was that I've hardly used the CG the last two years, so I fired it up yesterday and cooked a 12 lb'er like I used to with Kingsford and oak wood. Although it was very labor intensive I have to admit I enjoyed tending the fire and the meat tasted a lot more like what they used to taste like.

Obviously this is one mans opinion and I may be completely off my rocker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
your not crazy..i feel the same way in regards to my my old NB Black Diamond and the WSM
WSM is great for pork butts because it runs all night with out any really fire tending but the q on my offset in regards to taste and color always seems better to me on my offset .. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I appreciate it but maybe your just as crazy as I am... I think I'm going to spend a little more time cooking with the CG to see if I'm right or if it was a one time thing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
well actually i dont cook on either much anymore since i got a Backwoods but I still think the offset produced some nice looking and good tasting q

Back