Question about ash buildup

S. Dover

TVWBB Fan
My first WSM is shipping today and I have a newbie question for you: I will probably start out using charcoal (Kingsford) until I can get some lump. Lump is not too plentiful in my area. Anyway, those of you that use charcoal, what type of ash buildup are you getting? I usually get a lot in my offset using Kingsford and just wanted to know what to expect with the WSM.

I've done 24 hr. cooks and the ash from Kingford was never a problem other than tapping the legs at the 18 hr. mark to get the ash around the briquets to drop down into the bottom.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott L.:
If you're near a Wal-Mart, and I bet you are in 'Bama, they sell Royal Oak lump for $5.27 for 10lb bag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ouch!

No problem Scott. I have seen that brand but they were out the other day. I have also seen Cowboy Lump at Lowe's but they were also out. Thanks for the tip.

I have tried lump (royal oak) and for me, it burns to fast and gives me lots of temperature spikes. Now I know some of you never have any problems with lump but for some reason I have a hard time with smokerings using lump. When I use kingsford (even as newbie) I had no problems at all! There is a good deal of ash but it never interferes with my burn because the ash falls through to the bottom of the smoker. I dont worry about the amount of ash because I buy 50 gallon trash bags!
icon_biggrin.gif

Also, with Kingsford, my temperatures are always stable and reliable. Lump has me check the WSM regulary, as opposed to Kingsford where I get a steady temp and go watch a movie or two or even just go to bed!

This past weekend at the Madison, IN Ribberfest contest, our team used Humphrey lump and Wicked Good. They both burn well, but Wicked Good burns more like Kingsford. But as before, the smokering on my briskets were not there - which means, in my case, it was burning too hot too fast because the meat was put on the smoker right out of the ice box.

Anyway, I like Wicked Good lump but I am sticking with Kingsford. I do buy royal oak lump but I only use it for lighting my minion method burns which are Kingsford.

Tony

Nothing wrong w/ Kingsford. I still do my butts w/ Kingsford and wood chunks. Ash falls through and really doesn't come into play at all.

I use Royal Oak Lump for brisket and ribs and will eventually make that change to butts too. However, I'm getting calls with pork at comps using Kingsford, so I'm in no hurry to change.

As for the Cowboy, I'd pass on that. Its great for steaks and grilling applications, but I've found that the spikes in temperature and the rate at which its consumed is too difficult to use on longer cooks.

Just starting out I'd have to recommend staying w/ Kingsford and after you've gained comfort with that moving to your lump of choice if you see the need.

Joey Mac

I cook everything over Lump and use Kingsford to light it. IMO lump burns just as consistant and as long as Kingsford with little ash build up. This lump burns hotter crap is well just crap. Anything will burn hot if you let it. Yes you can get some spikes from lump but to avoid them eliminate the big air gaps in the charcoal ring when putting the lump in. Lump doesn't pack in the ring like the briqs so hence the spikes. When you get those big chunks of lump coming out of the bag i put them on the very bottom and on the very top. I also like to save them for grilling. HTH all who are trying Lump.

Tony, How did you guys do in the competition? This was your first wasn't it?<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
I have tried lump (royal oak) and for me, it burns to fast and gives me lots of temperature spikes. Now I know some of you never have any problems with lump but for some reason I have a hard time with smokerings using lump. When I use kingsford (even as newbie) I had no problems at all! There is a good deal of ash but it never interferes with my burn because the ash falls through to the bottom of the smoker. I dont worry about the amount of ash because I buy 50 gallon trash bags!
icon_biggrin.gif

Also, with Kingsford, my temperatures are always stable and reliable. Lump has me check the WSM regulary, as opposed to Kingsford where I get a steady temp and go watch a movie or two or even just go to bed!

This past weekend at the Madison, IN Ribberfest contest, our team used Humphrey lump and Wicked Good. They both burn well, but Wicked Good burns more like Kingsford. But as before, the smokering on my briskets were not there - which means, in my case, it was burning too hot too fast because the meat was put on the smoker right out of the ice box.

Anyway, I like Wicked Good lump but I am sticking with Kingsford. I do buy royal oak lump but I only use it for lighting my minion method burns which are Kingsford.

Tony </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

Yes, this was my first competition. I was helping out some friends - Bucky McOinkums Barbecue lead by Curt McAdams from Waynesville, OH. Curt asked me to join them for this comp since I was not going to compete myself. It was great fun and experience. It was only Curts second comp too. We did not do as well as we had hoped (36th overall). But Curt said percentage-wise that was a big improvement over where they were at Carmel, IN.

The next competition I will be competing myself (Indy Smokehouse Bar-B-Q). I hope to find a competition in October as my first. I know next year I will be at Carmel and Madison for sure, but I am looking for other to compete in as well.

Tony

Try the Duraflame Hardwood Briquettes. They're 95% hardwood, with the remainder a starch binder. My understanding is that the other stuff in some of the other brands causes the ash build up. Since switching we've noticed a significantly smaller ash build up in the WSM and stick burner (including at the competition yesterday in Lincoln, NE). Performance is just as good or better than Kingsford.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Art Sobczak:
Try the Duraflame Hardwood Briquettes. They're 95% hardwood, with the remainder a starch binder. My understanding is that the other stuff in some of the other brands causes the ash build up. Since switching we've noticed a significantly smaller ash build up in the WSM and stick burner (including at the competition yesterday in Lincoln, NE). Performance is just as good or better than Kingsford. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Art, I use Maple Leaf briquettes. From what I can see, the Duraflame hardwood briquettes are supposed to be comparable. With no tapping of the legs or raking, the briqs fall apart by themselves and there is pretty much zero ash buildup.

Unlike in some of the El Cheapo bullets, you won't have any ash problems in a Weber. The charcoal sits on a grate in a ring and the ashes fall through it.

Reminder: Labor Day's coming up, which usually means $8 pallets (48 pounds in two bags) of Kingsford at Home Depot. I always buy at Labor Day and Memorial Day.

I have to disagree with you Randy. On normal cooks ash does not present a problem. But on a long, stubborn cook ash becomes a very real problem. I've had the ash blocking the vents during an extended cook. I'm thinking about giving the Duraflame product a shot if I can find it nearby.

Using a good quality lumpwood, or even a mixture of lump an briquettes will solve any ash problems. I've even done two overnights without dumping the ash (mistake, I forgot to dump the ash).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony Hunter:
I have tried lump (royal oak) and for me, it burns to fast and gives me lots of temperature spikes. Now I know some of you never have any problems with lump but for some reason I have a hard time with smokerings using lump. When I use kingsford (even as newbie) I had no problems at all!
Tony </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tony, kingsford adds sodium nitrate to its briquets, which makes for a great smokering (allbeit artifical).

No matter what you cook on or use for fuel there are trade offs. If you use Kingsford, you have steady temps and perdictable burn times. Trade off is more ash than some other charcoals, so you deal with it.

If you use lump there can be shorter burns, some heat spikes and higher fuel costs but you have less ash. Still have to deal with those conditions.

BBQ is learning to deal with the situation that's presented to you.

I have been using Kingsford for a lot of years and can not complain about the results. I also use lump regularly and as anything else it's is not equal in quality and results based on the material that the lump is made from.

Learn to deal with the condition you are presented with because under different weather conditions you will get different results.
Low and slow is about how you handle the conditions as they present themself.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by michael mc:
Tony, kingsford adds sodium nitrate to its briquets, which makes for a great smokering (allbeit artifical). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How can you have an artificial smokering? I have read posts where people who use Kingsford did not get a smokering.

Tony

Back