Quantity help for 200?

Ivan Stratton

TVWBB Fan
I'm helping a buddy of mine out for a company cookout he is having. We are serving Pulled Pork sandwiches and Brunswick Stew. I've never done this combo for this many people. If it were just Pulled Pork I would probably try to hit around 60-65 lbs of finished product but the stew is pretty hardy so I think I can cut that back. Planning to do 50-60 quarts of stew. We will also have cole slaw and chips. This is for lunch. I was thinking maybe I should plan for everybody to get a sandwich and a bowl of soup. Any thoughts? Any help will be appreciated.

Ivan

For a good-sized sandwich apiece, I probably would cook 2 cases of butts, figuring 1 case per 100 people.

Pat

Ivan,

Yes, I'd essentially plan on serving a sandwich and cup of stew to each person. From your buddy, I'd factor in the volume of food based on these questions:
1) Average age and sex (young males eat more)
2) Has company hosted an event like this before and what volume of food/type of food did they go through?
3) Your buddy knows the employees best; will most opt for a sandwich and stew combo?

If this is to be a self-serve buffet; you can regulate to some degree the amount of food each person takes by providing a specific size bun and cup. You basically can only get so much meat on a medium size bun. Likewise with the cup for the stew. With the sides, you probably won't have too many go back for 2nds.

Paul

Paul

I have done a stew before with them. Its pretty much all construction guys. It won't be self serve so we can control portion size. We are just planning to get the regular size buns from Sams. I doubt we will actually have 200. At this point I'm figuring 5 oz per person of pork and 1 cup of stew. That comes out to like 18 butts and 50 qts stew. Problem is this is at 11 am so I either need to stay up all night or cook , store and reheat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Problem is this is at 11 am so I either need to stay up all night or cook , store and reheat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'd opt for the later. Since you're up against a firm deadline, if something 'happens' and those butts aren't done; you'll have a group of grumbling guests on your hands. Cooking in advance affords you the luxury to handle last minute issues. I'd let the butts cook overnight earlier in the week, pull them and reheat prior to serving. Are there options for reheating at the lunch location?

Paul

Back