Q's? on Genesis 1000 rebuild for newbie rebuilder

Dan Mulls

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

This is my first post so be gentle. I have recently acquired a new to me Weber Genesis 1000 blacktop and have a few newbie rebuilder questions.

1) Has anyone been successful in obtaining parts to the cart frame direct from Weber? I inadvertently threw out parts to my frame after the hardware rusted through. I went to wheel the Genesis into the shed because we were getting 3' of snow and the right legs bent under the firebox. Under closer observation the entire frame is compromised with holes and is all twisted up now. I feel like I need an entire cart replacement at this point. My serial number is not on the tag, all my info is missing from the tag's right side because it is sun bleached. I contacted Weber and they said without the s/n they can't do much and wanted me to know the grill has been discontinued for over ten years. So what do you all think is my best option?

2) I am taking the end caps and handle off my lid to paint them, does anyone know the sizes of the bolts/nuts? I want to pick up stainless hardware before I tackle the entire job. I see there are 10 side bolts and two bolts in the handle. Any other hardware I am going to need to upgrade?

3) I inherited my Genesis from my boss who is a grill fanatic. He grills 4 or so days a week and was so happy with the Genesis he replaced it with a Summit E670!! So I am wondering about these Flavorizer bars, are they supposed to be entirely carbon colored if they are the regular version? Some of mine are bright silver on the edges and I didn't want to get too excited and think he upgraded them to stainless steel the last time they were replaced. I don't have them in my Q220 so I can't tell the difference. We have been so busy at work I can't really chum him up about the grills history....it was free so I will leave it be.

4) How do I tell if my grates are porcelain coated or just cast iron? Is the pattern different because I want to say these are entirely cast iron (w/ no rust!).

I have to get some before pictures up asap so I can share my progress.

I have read hundreds of threads looking for tips and specs on this rebuild, I started with the most updated and am reading threads from 2009-2010 right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this forum and did not know it existed until recently. I have had a Weber Q220 for 6+ years and it never dawned on me that other men/woman love their Weber BBQs as much as I do. I can't wait to cook on a full size grill that gets really hot!! :cool:

Thank you all!

**Update** See my Genesis build here:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39115-Weber-Genesis-1000-Readhead-from-Long-Island

Last edited:
Phew lots of questions. I believe Weber sells the frame parts. You can certainly call them and ask. As for the grates. If they are the cast iron they will look exactly like the "Q" grate. he FB's if you have shiny areas may just well be SS. The screws I believe are 1/4". The issue you'll have is finding ones with the flat heads that Weber uses.
In the end you may find it easier to use this unit as a parts donor and find one in better overall condition.

Yeah, I'd be watching Craig's List for a second (good framed) Genesis and combining the two into one... My porcelain grates are hollow underneath.

Dan, there's got to be good used ones out there, our's was purchased new in '95 and is still in great shape after all these years even with no cover being used. When I see pictures of Genesis grills all rusted up I wonder what people did to them to get them in that condition, live next to the oceans maybe? Anyway, have fun with your restoration project, as I'm sure you already know the internals for that grill are still available (and even stocked on the store shelves in our area), and if you watch ebay and craigslist you should be able to find a good frame.

Dan,

Have you checked out the online schematic for the Genesis 1000? It may help with some of the bolt sizes:

http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?all=1&model=211001

As for the grates, as Brian says above, the porcelain enamel grates are "hollow", meaning if you hold it on edge and look down the length of the grate, it's a series of upside-down u-shapes, flat on top, hollow underneath. The cast iron grates will be solid and really, really heavy.

Regards,
Chris

P.S. I wouldn't give up on getting those frame parts from Weber. Perhaps there's a distinguishing feature of your grill that will help them narrow it down so they can identify the needed parts. Or perhaps you should call back in hopes of getting a more helpful or better informed agent. Worst case, perhaps you can buy another with a good frame and create one great grill from two mediocre ones.

If they are the cast iron they will look exactly like the "Q" grate.

The FB's if you have shiny areas may just well be SS.

I am 90% sure I have cast iron grills without porcelain coating. They are not hollow, but are flat on one side and pyramid shaped on the opposite side.

A few of the FB's are definitely shiny as stated earlier and I just tested them with a magnet.....they are NOT magnetic! Good sign right. ;)

20130217_192949.jpg

20130217_192901.jpg

Last edited:
Dan, there's got to be good used ones out there, our's was purchased new in '95 and is still in great shape after all these years even with no cover being used. When I see pictures of Genesis grills all rusted up I wonder what people did to them to get them in that condition, live next to the oceans maybe?

Here are the pictures of my rust damage. We both live on/close to the Atlantic Ocean and the salt in the air is palatable at times. That is why all of our new cars, bikes, trailers, etc get rusty so quickly. The grills are not exempt.

Thank you all.

20130213_134255-1.jpg

20130213_135510.jpg

20130213_135534.jpg

20130213_135525.jpg

20130213_134522.jpg

Last edited:
Have you checked out the online schematic for the Genesis 1000? It may help with some of the bolt sizes.

As for the grates, as Brian says above, the porcelain enamel grates are "hollow", meaning if you hold it on edge and look down the length of the grate, it's a series of upside-down u-shapes, flat on top, hollow underneath. The cast iron grates will be solid and really, really heavy.

P.S. I wouldn't give up on getting those frame parts from Weber. Perhaps there's a distinguishing feature of your grill that will help them narrow it down so they can identify the needed parts. Or perhaps you should call back in hopes of getting a more helpful or better informed agent.

Worst case, perhaps you can buy another with a good frame and create one great grill from two mediocre ones.

I read the entire manual last week and the bolt sizes are not listed because they are shown as part of the lid. I will have to take the end caps off and bring them to HD to match up I guess.

I definitely do not have the upside down U's and they are not hollow. These mothers are 10lbs a piece...just weighed them as I am typing this. I have them indoors now because I want to know how to get them spotless clean.

A couple of you said to buy another grill to build up. I already had that in mind and posted a WTB ad on CL and got three legitimate bites saying they have used Genesis 1000's that they'd sell. Remember these 3 grills are not listed on CL but are offers I received via email.

Here is the one I picked....I will tell you for how much after it is in my back yard. I noticed the grates are different, I think those are the porcelain ones correct? Also check out that frame!! It looks great.

bbq3.jpg

bbq2.jpg

Last edited:
Durawood

20130217_192825.jpg

20130217_192836.jpg

I did not realize that I have Durawood tables. I am kind of excited since that means I do not have to replace the "weathered wood" that I thought I had. The second grill I am buying has real wood slats if I am not mistaken and I think I am going to replace those tables with this durawood since I heard it cleans up well.

My only concern is the condition of these "Z-Brackets", they are rusted through on my current grill. I don't know what the "new" grill has rust wise.

Comparing the pics, I would be rehabilitating the redhead, cherry picking from Ol' Rusty. Those are CI grates, and I'm reasonable sure you can swap the Durawood for the wood wood. Which grill has the better FBs and burner tubes? A little mix-n-matching and you are going to end with a pretty sweet grill.

Comparing the pics, I would be rehabilitating the redhead, cherry picking from Ol' Rusty. Those are CI grates, and I'm reasonable sure you can swap the Durawood for the wood wood. Which grill has the better FBs and burner tubes? A little mix-n-matching and you are going to end with a pretty sweet grill.

Thank you....I totally agree. I just have to land the redhead or I am out of luck on this project.

I was going to throw these CI grates in my self cleaning oven then it dawned on me...what happens if all this gunk lights up and ends up damaging our new oven. I am probably going to wait for the snow to go down to get my fire ring out and make a wood fire to throw them in.

What do you all think? Easiest, least caustic, least dangerous way to clean them to bare metal?

Tonight was a night I will remember for a long time. I had the best turn of luck with this Genesis 1000 rebuild. This wild ride all started with my boss giving me the blacktop grill recently which started my search for a cart/frame. I ended up with this redhead that is basically in new/used condition. There is no rust anywhere on the entire grill cart. I am going to start a separate thread because of all the cool stuff that led up to me being the proud owner of this beauty.

Here is a pic of her on my porch right now.........

20130219_180802.jpg

Found another Weber gasser locally and it was a sweet deal for $0!

This brings me up to four Weber gassers, 3 of which were acquired within the past two weeks.

2001 Weber Silver B
20130223_210942-1.jpg

This last one looks ready to use!

You would think so from all the pics right, haha not so much.

The Silver actually needs the most work compared to the other two. All three burners are rusted through, the bottom drip pan rails are missing, the pan itself has years of gross in it, the thermometer is broken, the left flip up table has a 6" crack across it and the lid has a dime sized rust spot on the outside from missing enamel.

Today I scored a brand new Weber Rotisserie p/n:9890 for $20. So spur of the moment I wanted to build up one solid grill to try out my new rotisserie. I called my Mom to come for dinner and she offered a 15lbs turkey that she just bought. I thought what better to rotisserie first than a whole turkey? Lets do it.

So two hours later Mom gets here and I bring up a ton of groceries she bought us and no turkey. I asked where it was and she said maybe under the seat...huh? After stripping her suv and not finding the bird, she called her boyfriend who said he took it out of the groceries thinking it was for them at home....ugh burn. So off to the store I went to buy a few top round black angus steaks and portobello mushrooms. Here is what was for dinner in my 30min build.

20130224_183435.jpg

20130224_154509.jpg

This is my black top on the redheads frame with a side table and knobs from the Silver.

Last edited:

Back