Q3200 questions

Paul Shin

I purchased a Q1200 a while ago on a whim and ended up liking it. So much, that instead of adding a Genesis, I think I’m leaning to a Q3200. For a couple of reasons.

1) It’s cheaper.
2) It’s portable for our occasional extended family cookouts.

I currently have the following grills:
Q1200
Performer Deluxe
Go Anywhere charcoal

I got rid of the Flat Top Grill, as it wasn’t getting too much use and it took up a lot of room. So I was going to get a Genesis and get the Flat Top griddle insert, as it’d make it a very versatile grill. I was also looking to get a side burner version as well.

But I think I can make the 3200 work.

I’m guessing it would be big enough? 99% of the time, I’m cooking for my family of 5. My current Performer (22.5”) has good enough capacity. But on those days I don’t want to mess with charcoal, the 3200 would get the call.

I’d like to use the grill for:
- Grilling 😆
- Griddle (hoping it’ll be big enough for making smash burgers, breakfast, etc)
- Deep fryer (I intended to use the side burner for frying, but I’ve seen pots that sit right on the burner?)

Anyway, hoping it’ll work. Especially if I double it up with the Q1200 for bigger cooks. If you’ve got any inputs, please post up. Thank you.

The Q3200 has as much cooking area as a Genesis with front burners.

The Q3200 is not portable in the sense that it easily breaks down. The Q1xx and Q2xx have folding carts and use 1LB propane bottles - portable features in the traditional sense.

People that have the Q series grills seem to be happy with them

Hi Paul,

I also have your current line up and some more. I really enjoy using our Q 3200; in fact, it is the only one of our gas cookers that I've used this year. Currently, there are only two of us at home full time but it did work adequately when we had four at home.

For me, it could be a little more challenging to find the same real estate compared to a Genesis when I need an indirect-only cook space for four or more.

I bought the Weber griddle insert a few months ago and did Smashburgers once; I think I was barely able to lay down four patties simultaneously and they cook so fast that I'm not skilled enough to do a larger quantity simultaneously.

I use another unit for deep frying, so I cannot comment on that setup and I don't understand your note about a side burner :)

Good luck!

I have the Q320 (same grill one less 0). It is now my "go to" gasser. Rather than manuever the giant Wolf, uncover it, and fire up 6 huge burners I "click and go" on the Q. My Genesis got scrapped due to severe frame rot. Beyond my skill set to save it. And beside, I find myself cooking on the pellet cookers 95% of the time.
I even converted my Q320 to nat gas and now don't even need to feed it a bottle :D
Also while I love the way they cook with their cast iron grates, I found a thick stainless grate (though it's 430 stainless and does rust pretty good), so I find myself brusing the rust off more than the crud. It does not take to "seasoning" either.
Someone (a German firm) on Ebay makes a 304SS grate set for it. And given all the rust mine gets, it's becoming tempting. Even at it's $120+ price tag.
Heck with that and nat gas that grill is about as bullet proof as you can ask for

Hi Paul,

I also have your current line up and some more. I really enjoy using our Q 3200; in fact, it is the only one of our gas cookers that I've used this year. Currently, there are only two of us at home full time but it did work adequately when we had four at home.

For me, it could be a little more challenging to find the same real estate compared to a Genesis when I need an indirect-only cook space for four or more.

I bought the Weber griddle insert a few months ago and did Smashburgers once; I think I was barely able to lay down four patties simultaneously and they cook so fast that I'm not skilled enough to do a larger quantity simultaneously.

I use another unit for deep frying, so I cannot comment on that setup and I don't understand your note about a side burner :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the input. The side burner comment on the Genesis, as seen in the picture below, I just meant I’d use it for frying/deep frying when I don’t want to smell up the house.

1699014608762.jpeg

I wanted to know if anyone tried doing the same (deep frying) on the Q and how well it worked.
1699014716940.jpeg

I have the Q320 (same grill one less 0). It is now my "go to" gasser. Rather than manuever the giant Wolf, uncover it, and fire up 6 huge burners I "click and go" on the Q. My Genesis got scrapped due to severe frame rot. Beyond my skill set to save it. And beside, I find myself cooking on the pellet cookers 95% of the time.
I even converted my Q320 to nat gas and now don't even need to feed it a bottle :D
Also while I love the way they cook with their cast iron grates, I found a thick stainless grate (though it's 430 stainless and does rust pretty good), so I find myself brusing the rust off more than the crud. It does not take to "seasoning" either.
Someone (a German firm) on Ebay makes a 304SS grate set for it. And given all the rust mine gets, it's becoming tempting. Even at it's $120+ price tag.
Heck with that and nat gas that grill is about as bullet proof as you can ask for

Exactly my thoughts. Until I build a dedicated Cook Shack (someday…….), I need to wheel the grill from the garage or the side of the house. Moving the Genesis around would be such a hassle.
The stock grates have been working pretty well for me but good to know about the stainless version.

Oh, IMO moving the Q320 is a royal PIA. IDK what Weber was thinking when they designed that cart. It's awful. It's easier for me now as with no gas tank I just pick the whole thing up and shuffle it to position on the deck. But the worst thing about the Q3 series is the cart. So the Genesis was easier to shuffle around. In many ways even the Wolf is because despite weighing nearly 350lbs it has huge casters and it glides around. It's just unwieldly And yes to the using the Q as a "burner". But I would NOT take the grate off. I just put the pan on the grate. The burner is not meant to have someing on top of it

Oh, IMO moving the Q320 is a royal PIA. IDK what Weber was thinking when they designed that cart. It's awful. It's easier for me now as with no gas tank I just pick the whole thing up and shuffle it to position on the deck. But the worst thing about the Q3 series is the cart. So the Genesis was easier to shuffle around. In many ways even the Wolf is because despite weighing nearly 350lbs it has huge casters and it glides around. It's just unwieldly And yes to the using the Q as a "burner". But I would NOT take the grate off. I just put the pan on the grate. The burner is not meant to have someing on top of it

Ah, ok. I thought it’d be easy to move around. Or even transport. Hm, maybe I need to look harder at the 2200.

Regarding that pot, it’s actually sitting on a specially made rack. But it looks like it’s only available overseas.

Ah, ok. I thought it’d be easy to move around. Or even transport. Hm, maybe I need to look harder at the 2200.

Regarding that pot, it’s actually sitting on a specially made rack. But it looks like it’s only available overseas.

While not easy to move around the versatility of the Q3 series cannot be beat. It has good size, can do indirect and with the right kit could even do rotisserie cooking. Now, "portable" as in throw it in the back of the car for a picnic. No. Can it be done? You bet. I've done it. There are 4 hair pin type clips to remove to pull it off the cart IIRC.
And I think with some judiciously applied mods one could mod it to take casters instead of the just the 2 large cart wheels on one side.

While not easy to move around the versatility of the Q3 series cannot be beat. It has good size, can do indirect and with the right kit could even do rotisserie cooking. Now, "portable" as in throw it in the back of the car for a picnic. No. Can it be done? You bet. I've done it. There are 4 hair pin type clips to remove to pull it off the cart IIRC.
And I think with some judiciously applied mods one could mod it to take casters instead of the just the 2 large cart wheels on one side.

I would probably take it to a big family bbq once a year? Maybe twice. I do have a truck, so seems like it’ll work.

I do like that two burner set up. I usually smoke on my Performer but it’ll be nice to have another option.

Paul, I converted a Genesis to a dedicated fry station by removing the burners and adding electricity. Keeps the smell and flumes outside.

I used the grates for the surface. I kept the grease system in place in case of any oil spills

The Weber side burner is limiting. You can’t safely put a giant pot on the side burner. Just saucepans and small skillets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 5
Paul, I converted a Genesis to a dedicated fry station by removing the burners and adding electricity. Keeps the smell and flumes outside.

I used the grates for the surface. I kept the grease system in place in case of any oil spills

The Weber side burner is limiting. You can’t safely put a giant pot on the side burner. Just saucepans and small skillets.

That looks amazing! Nice work!
Thanks for the info on the side burner. Glad I didn’t find out the hard way.

If you want to fry outside I would get a single burner electric for under $30 from Amazon and use it outside. I plan on getting one for rendering lard and tallow as it is messy and smelly inside. The nice thing for the electric it is cheap, safe, and very controllable as you can even get them with a temp gage I believe.

I can't think of a 110V electric burner with enough watts to heat up a whole pot of oil for a turkey. Honestly I have always used the side burner on my now departed Genesis or if it my brother's we've used his Summit's side burner. Although not for turkey for Christmas Eve feast of 7 fishes and for stuff like the calamari frit (fried calamari). We do use a heavy cast iron dutch oven for that though.

I can't think of a 110V electric burner with enough watts to heat up a whole pot of oil for a turkey. Honestly I have always used the side burner on my now departed Genesis or if it my brother's we've used his Summit's side burner. Although not for turkey for Christmas Eve feast of 7 fishes and for stuff like the calamari frit (fried calamari). We do use a heavy cast iron dutch oven for that though.
I did not see he wanted to fry a turkey. That would require a dedicated gas Turkey Fryer.

I was assuming turkey because words like large pot and also so much turkey talk has taken place my mond went there

Back