Q220 - no gas flow

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Hey, Q experts! So I picked up a Q220 off the curb today, and it's in pretty good shape overall, needs a cleaning. Before I got too deep into it, I gave the burner a once over to ensure the burner holes were clear, air intake screen was unobstructed, etc. I hooked up a full disposable canister, and I get no gas flow when I turn the valve. I removed the regulator, took the valve off, and I can blow air through it, so it seems like it's clear.

Based on what I've read so far, it seems the likely culprit is a dead regulator. Is there anything else you all would suggest that I try before purchasing a new regulator (dang those things are expensive!!)??

Thanks,
Rich

Do you smell any gas when you have the grill on? If not, it would seem to be the regulator most likely. If you plan to replace that, it will cost you close to $50 for a new one, other wise you can just convert it to a bulk propane grill using the 20lb refillable tanks. That would cost you about $15.

THanks, Bruce. Yeah, don't smell any gas at all, which strongly implies that the problem is between the canister and the burner. :(

I'm looking at parts for conversion based on other threads. Seems more economical than a $55 regulator that is likely to fail again.

Thx,
R

These are the two parts you should need:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008E5CN9E/?tag=tvwb-20
and

That is less than $20 in parts, but you will need some pipe dope as well.
Yep, pretty much what I had in my cart. :) I added an adapter to be able to use the disposable canisters as well, so I'm a little over $20, but not bad.

Hey, while you are lurking......can I use a standard push button igniter on the Q220 instead of the electronic one? The one it came with is toast, but I'd rather do the $18 push button than the $40 electronic if it will fit.....I'm pretty sure it will, but figured I would ask someone smarter than me! :)

R

Yes Rich. I have converted several to the old style Peizo igniter switches. They last about 10 times longer and cost about 1/5th as much and you don't have to to change batteries.

Yes Rich. I have converted several to the old style Peizo igniter switches. They last about 10 times longer and cost about 1/5th as much and you don't have to to change batteries.
Thanks, Bruce. That's what I was thinking, too. Looks like I can get this guy going for about $45 with the conversion and a new ignitor. Not a bad deal, and I'm going to probably put a paint job on the lid and send it with my daughter when she heads back to school after the holidays.

Proud dad moment.....she texted me the other day and asked if I could teach her how to use a grill when she's home.....only took 21 years! :)

R

Rich,
The only thing is, they think you can learn to grill in one lesson. But, that is fine. It just ensures you will get a few extra phone calls from her while she it at school.
"Dad, How do I flip a chicken with this spatula"?
"Dad, I need a new propane tank".
"Dad, why is my chicken burned on the outside and still frozen on the inside"?
"Dad, Can you come down and show me how to cook ribs"?
"Dad, Is there an app for this thing"?

Thanks, Bruce. That's what I was thinking, too. Looks like I can get this guy going for about $45 with the conversion and a new ignitor. Not a bad deal, and I'm going to probably put a paint job on the lid and send it with my daughter when she heads back to school after the holidays.

Proud dad moment.....she texted me the other day and asked if I could teach her how to use a grill when she's home.....only took 21 years! :)

R
Rich, I get the proud dad moment! I sent my daughter off to university with a grill. She roomed with a girl whose dad owned a beef farm so beef was free. The mac and cheese crowd were sure jealous. 😆
To Bruce’s point, I loved every time she called home with questions on how to cook stuff. And when she was home she was always hanging over my shoulder asking questions when I was grilling. Sure miss those times.

Look on EBay for the regulator. Usually in the $25 to $35 range. For a free grill that does not seem expensive. Then at least you still have all the functionality of the original design. Unless you simply don't care and plan to always use it stationary. BTW don't throw in the towel on that regulator either. Take the orifice off someone on the board here found it blocked by some debris. You may get "lucky" and find the same

Rich,
After reading your post that you got this little grill cooking, I went to look for the other post connected to the pick up. As I type my youngest daughter is in the kitchen making homemade carmel bowls to make brownie sundaes tonight, all on her own. When I was prepping my pork shoulder last night she was asking about doing ribs all on her own again, so hopefully here soon I will have that experience to share.
How did the lessons with your daughter go over the last few days?

Rich,
After reading your post that you got this little grill cooking, I went to look for the other post connected to the pick up. As I type my youngest daughter is in the kitchen making homemade carmel bowls to make brownie sundaes tonight, all on her own. When I was prepping my pork shoulder last night she was asking about doing ribs all on her own again, so hopefully here soon I will have that experience to share.
How did the lessons with your daughter go over the last few days?
Hey, Michael. She had to head back early, so we didn't get to it. She will be here for three weeks over Christmas, so we're going to take it up then. :)

R

Back