Q200 wonky igniter

Bob Marlatt

TVWBB Member
My apologies if this has already been covered. For some reason the last couple of cooks, my Q200 has required several pushes of the button before lighting. Relatively new, with maybe 15-20 cooks, I'm still using the small canisters for fuel. I can smell and hear the propane flowing, but what used to be one or two clicks of the button to fire up is now a game of "will it?"

If you're using the small canisters (and it's still not starting even with a new canister), then I bet it's just a few blocked holes in the tube. Try taking off the grate and scrubbing any debris out with your grill brush.

Yep you've got grunge in the ignitor area. Slip the burner out and clean it good with a clean wire brush. Pay close attention to the area near the ignitor

Remove grate. Leave in the "OFF" position. When you push ignitor - do you see spark? If yes clean burner holes particularly around ignitor. I find a pin works good to just move around the holes a bit and dislodge any deposits that may restrict flow. It should be obvious to the naked eye which holes may be in question.

If the ignitor is not sparking it may need adjustment, repair or replacement. But honestly, the piezo ignitor that came with the 200 is fairly bomb proof. Touchy at times yes but should last a long time with minimal issue. It's really quite a simple thing with not much to go wrong. Of course make sure the wires are connected properly as well or no spark.

I have found best results waiting for several seconds before igniting as the propane fills the tubes at the opposite end of where the ignitor sits.

Last edited:
Spot on answers! I cleaned the area around the igniter, one push of the button: we have lift off! I'll give it more thorough attention to keep the burner tube in top form. Thanks again.

Yeah, the only "weak spot" in the design of the "Q" series is the burner. Because there is no "tent" over it it gets a lot of schmutz on it, in the holes etc. The cast in protection area in the grate works only to a point but really does not shield it that well. But the Q is still about the best "portable" grill around

We just recently sold out beloved Q120 for the bigger 200. That little guy got us through six years of service with not 1 problem. I learned early to inspect and clean the burner holes at least once a season. As LMichaels said, "BEST" portable around but even the best needs some maintenance to keep it in tip-top shape.

Back