Q Questions and ramblings...

Joe Dietz

I have an older model Weber larger grill outside. Not sure what model it is as it was given to me. But it just works. I will have to go find out and see what it might need. Didn't use it over the winter and found a mouse nest in it. Gotta clean it out. I don't really need that big one very much and want a portable one so the Q came into my life. Recently, I was looking to upgrade my rusty Coleman Sportster for camping and such and found an older Weber 1200 (2008) in like-new condition!

I would like to do the modification to use with 6' hose and 5 and 20 lb tanks but the thread on that is older and the parts referenced and photos and such don't seem to be available now... Any help? The 1 lb. canister works fine so I think it is that valve pressure, etc.

The Weber Q I have has a one-piece cast iron grill in new shape. I am assuming olive oil or such would be my friend to keep it nice?

I decided that I wanted a stand for it. I saw that the new folding ones are over $120 and, well kind of flimsy. I thought I would look for a used one, anyway. So, i found one attached to a 2017 Electric Q1400 at a great price for that combo. The Q 1400 is also in like new condition and works great and thought I would use that stand for the propane version and then sell the electric Q. My thought was to take the stand and then find a new home for the electeric one, however, it is growing on me like the Q1200 I have acquired. Two's not bad, right? I could concieve of a reason for using both. I still want to use the stand with my Q1200 but the feet are slightly different and more flaired on the 1200 and it doesn't snap into the stand the way it should like the newer Q1400 does. I guess the newer models have been slightly modified. Can the legs/frame be transferred from the one to the other relatively easy? Is there a mod for Q1200 legs OR the stand, instead? The legs on the much older Q1200 are nicer and I would prefer to keep them on that. And if I could swap to use the stand for camping and picnicking the identication plates on the backs would be wrong and that just doesn't sit well with my need for order. Another altertive is to ditch this 1200 and find an newer one or a different stand. Does anybody know what year the changes were made to the feet? Additionally, I was hoping that by getting that stand that I could also use it with a 2000 variety that might turn up somewhere for when guests come over (although I am covered with the larger Weber and the two Qs I already got, but I am a little obsessed and could see having both a 1200 and a 2200 and maybe even keeping that 1400.

Also, which grate setup is better, the older cast iron or the newer two-piece set with the porcelain on it? I haven't tried but I am assuming that the ones from the newer electric would easily fit in there but haven't tried it yet but will hopefully do so later today. I kind of like the cast iron one-piece but the 2 piece setup will be easier to transport and clean and fit in my cleaning bucket. I imagine that I would eventually upgrade to stainless steel on the Q1200.

Lastly, I want to install a temperature guage by drilling and installing. I don't think I have to worry about the warranty on this 2008. Any tips, thoughts, considerations?

AS a side note, when I checked out a newer Q1200 in the store it seemed that the fit and finish is not as nice as the 2008 one. The 2008 Q1200 just feels more substantial (and heavier). I really like these little Q grills and how well they seem to be made with stainless parts, aluminum, and such. They seem to have a lot of quality which attracts me to them like my affection for older well-built precision sewing machines...

Well, if you got this far, thanks.

I would like to do the modification to use with 6' hose and 5 and 20 lb tanks but the thread on that is older and the parts referenced and photos and such don't seem to be available now... Any help? The 1 lb. canister works fine so I think it is that valve pressure, etc.
As long as the 1# tank screws on any one of these will work.

Just beware when using those hose extenders they work a little "weird". LP works best when the regulator for a low pressure system sits right at the source. On those adapters you're trying to feed very high pressure through a little hose into a tiny orifice in the regulator o the grill Overall it works but can just get a little "wonky".

I agree, the shorter the adapter hose, the better. You can completely eliminate the regulator on the grill and buy a regular LP hose and regulator setup or you can simply buy one of those adapter hoses. I only advocate for the conversion if you only intend on using the grill as a stationary grill as you will no longer be able to use the 1lb canisters when taking the grill elsewhere. You will have to lug the large 20 or 5 lb canister with it.

I have a Weber Q300 that since 2010. It has been a very good BBQ, and I never had to do any work on it, other than use and clean it, but the burners were a bit old and burned, and I bought new ones
Trying to work with the old ones I drilled the 2 orifices with a 1/16" bit but it was too large. Bought new blanks, and drilled a #52 and it still looks to big. I have a feeling that a 3/64" will be ok.
Does any body know, what will be the correct size for propane for a Q300 ?
Thank you very much
Enjoy your BBKing

Why on earth did you drill the orifices? Your question is at best confusing. There is no reason to drill anything if you replace the burners

I have a Weber Q300 that since 2010. It has been a very good BBQ, and I never had to do any work on it, other than use and clean it, but the burners were a bit old and burned, and I bought new ones
Trying to work with the old ones I drilled the 2 orifices with a 1/16" bit but it was too large. Bought new blanks, and drilled a #52 and it still looks to big. I have a feeling that a 3/64" will be ok.
Does any body know, what will be the correct size for propane for a Q300 ?
Thank you very much
Enjoy your BBKing
My Q320 reaches 650 degrees in stock form, no mods needed, but I did mod my under powered Q2200
The Q2200 puts out 12,000 BTU, that is a size 60 orifice drill bit, I used a 3/64 drill bit to make it 15,000 BTU and I hit 700 degrees on a hot day
It has been my go to grill for 10 years and I use it almost daily year round.

It seems that Genesis and Q grills use the same sized orifices. I know a 3/64" bit is just a tad too big to fit in a stock Genesis LP orifice.

My Q320 reaches 650 degrees in stock form, no mods needed, but I did mod my under powered Q2200
The Q2200 puts out 12,000 BTU, that is a size 60 orifice drill bit, I used a 3/64 drill bit to make it 15,000 BTU and I hit 700 degrees on a hot day
It has been my go to grill for 10 years and I use it almost daily year round.
That is the one complaint that owners give against the 200/2000 series grills. I am glad your mod worked so well. It seems reasonable. I think Weber has to worry about selling overpowered grills to careless users and purposely throttles them down a bit. Back in the day, some of the very early Platinum grills featured a higher btu output than the otherwise identical “regular” Genesis. This had to have been accomplished by slightly larger orifice openings.

My Q2xx maxes out at just over 400 on the lid thermometer. I have never tried using my remote thermometer to test it at grate level. I find that plenty hot enough to burn my food. But, it would be nice to have the option to boost that a bit on a short hot cook or just to heat it up faster.

My Q2xx maxes out at just over 400 on the lid thermometer. I have never tried using my remote thermometer to test it at grate level. I find that plenty hot enough to burn my food. But, it would be nice to have the option to boost that a bit on a short hot cook or just to heat it up faster.
I don't believe the hood thermo. In any case given the amount of plastics in close proximity to heat I am sure Weber has good reasons for how they limit the BTU on a Q. Heck even running at low heat the plastic handle gets so darn hot on my Q320 you don't want to just "grab" it.

Back