Q cleaning with everday drill or dedicated drill?

Samuel

TVWBB Wizard
I have seen videos of people cleaning the inside of thier Q grills with a wire wheel and a drill.
Do you all use your everday cordless power work drill or do you guys use a less expensive drill driver for cleaning your Q grills this way
If you use your everday drill how is it holding up to this type of abuse?

Last edited:
Most people use an angle grinder with a wire cup brush. You can get one on sale at Harbor Freight for $9.99 or a bit more. The 4" wire cup brushes are $4 each. When I was wire wheeling my cook boxes for rehabs, I could get 15 or 20 boxes out of one angle grinder before it died.

Thanks Bruce.
Reason for my question was I saw this helpfull video of the poster using a Drill Driver and a 3" wire wheel cup brush, I was thinking a angle grinder might be to big for a Q.

Last edited:
Sam: Yah, I wasn't paying attention to the subject title when I posted. I think an angle grinder would still work for the main stuff, but a drill with wire wheel would be great for the nooks and crannies in the cook box.

That being said, unless you are going to rehab and sell the grill, completely cleaning it down to bare aluminum is not worth the effort however.

No the Q I am restoring is not for resale. It is for my own personal use. It is very dirty and I was thinking of taking down to bare metal once just to get it fresh clean start with me. It has grease in it 1" to an 1" 1/2 thick inside. You make a good point it will just get dirty again once I use it but tend to be a little OCD about things like that. You do make some good points as always though. Thanks for your replies.

I just use the same drill I use for everything. Why clutter up the garage? When that drill breaks I'll get a new one.

Barring the cleaner don't waste your time with a drill. If you look at the mechanics of what a drill is designed to do, it's all wrong trying to wire wheel something. For as cheap as the HF angle grinder is and how good it is for the $$$ if you do succumb to wanting to go that route I cannot recommend highly enough spending the $10 (on sale) for one.

Yah, that seems like the logical solution, but some people just want to get it back to near new again. Heck, I don't even scrape my grates between cooks.

Back