putting out wood charcoals

DavidSF

TVWBB Member
Hi,
So I'm done with my smoke. Brisket is going to cool down for 1 hour wrapped in alumnium foil.

What's the best and safest way to put out the wood charcoals? Can I just close all the vents and will the fire choke out? Should I pour water over the coals? Ideally I would like to reuse the charcoal for a shorter salmon smoke later this week.

thanks,
David

Putting water on the coals would be the quickest way to make a mess that you'll have to clean up and you will never be able to re-use those coals. As others have said, just close the vents.

I bought an extra grate an turned it 90 degrees and use the smaller pieces of charcoal all the time. After a cook, I just shut the vents. When I get ready for another cook, I just shake the old charcoal and pour new charcoal over the top of what ever is left. Works just fine. The only time I wouldn't do this is if I was gong to do an overnight cook. For a long cook, I'll start with all fresh charcoal so I have the best shot at not having to refuel during the cook.

Be careful about dumping the ash. Coals can stay hot buried in it for many many hours after all the vents have been shut. I smoked last night, and 15+ hours later, coals in the ash were still hot enough to burn my hand.

Kev

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K McCarthy:
Be careful about dumping the ash. Coals can stay hot buried in it for many many hours after all the vents have been shut. I smoked last night, and 15+ hours later, coals in the ash were still hot enough to burn my hand.

Kev </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had coals that I had shut the vents on for at least 36 hours old when I dumped them in a trash can. Learned my lesson about that; had a nasty trash can fire a couple hours later. Now I have a metal can that is used only for charcoal ashes. Everyone should get small metal can and put it by the barbeque and use it only for ash ... No trash.

Back