Purchasing Brisket

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
Has anyone had luck with a Brisket in cryovac from WalMart? I don't have many options when it comes to buying fresh meat, and went to the Wallyworld to look at Briskets but was not very impressed. Does Sams Club have a better selection? Looked like the brisket was rolled up in the packaging and just sitting in its own juices. I would like to buy a whole packer brisket for an upcoming smoke.

I have read a lot of people on here getting packers from Sam's. Mine only had flats. I never buy meat from Walmart. It is awful.

Russell,

I've used many briskets from Walmart. All were "Choice" and were good in my estimation. I don't understand "rolled up in the packaging." Cryovac should be skin tight on the meat and very little juice. If it was rolled up, there had to be air gaps in it which means the packaging has a hole and should not be sold.

Robert S.

The Walmarts here usually only have select packers, but once in a while a choice cut slips in every now and then.

They are OK, but I cook all of them high heat.

I buy packers from another source that are not graded, but I think they are probably choice.

Look at the cut carefully to see the marbling. It takes a while to learn, but once you get the hang of it you can pick out a pretty cheesy piece of meat.

Hey russel, I usually get my briskets from sam's. They only sell flats at the one here but range in size from 4 to 9 lbs and are either labled choice or angus. Ive never had any problems with them!
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

I buy all my non enhanced Excel Choice packers from Wal Mart and never had a awful one yet.
icon_biggrin.gif
I've bought and cooked at least 50 of them so far over the years. That said that's the only piece of meat I buy from Wally World. All other meats (Excel) are bought at BJ's because they don't sell enhanced meats.
icon_wink.gif
HTH, Bryan

Walmart is the only place I buy brisket. Last year 3 out of the 4 walmart stores that are at almost equal distance from my home carried packers. All 4 had flats. I browsed the full fresh meat one time and noticed every piece of meat they had out had a xx% salt solution injected. Even all of the chicken was injected with chicken broth. I also noticed that the one and only cut of meat they sell that wasn't injected was packer brisket. Last year they got $1.25 a pound or bit less all summer. This year 1 of the 4 walmarts still carries the full packer and haven't seen it below $1.50 per pound.

My sams only carries flats also. I don't buy the flats so wally is my only choice I know of. I asked the butcher back in July if I would buy a case of packers if they would order me one. Well long story short I have yet to recieve a case of packers.

I hate to buy an 8# flat when I can spend the same money on a 12# packer at walmart. I love the brisket and I want all I can get for the money if you know what I mean.

IMO my flats are better when cooked with the point intact.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
I also noticed that the one and only cut of meat they sell that wasn't injected was packer brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeff, Thanks. That's what I was trying to say but I botched it up.
icon_redface.gif

I used to pay $1.28 lb until late last year they finally went up in price after almost 5 years at $1.28lb. They are now $1.68lb which still ain't all that bad. The flats are outragous at $3.99lb same as BJ's and I refuse to pay that price.
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig castille:
I buy packers from another source that are not graded, but I think they are probably choice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
May I ask where?

BOB
also from Orlando

From Sanwa in Tampa. I think they have a spot in Sanford as well. They are a restaurant supply house and sell to the public too. Craig turned me on to them some time ago but I have STILL not made it over there. They carry Picnic lump--at $7.50/bag(!)--which I've STILL yet to try. One of these days I'll get there...

Bob,

Kevin is correct.....Sanwa wholesale.

They are growers as well.

I don't know where their location in Sanford is, but in Tampa they are on Hillsborough Ave (near 22nd st).

I am going back today to get another brisket that I'll be cooking at the UCF game tomorrow.

I have been pleased with their meats.

Briskets there run around 1.70 lb.

Bone in butts about 1.25 lb.

Picnic lump still is 7.50 for 15 lb bag.

Also, there is another place in Plant City named either Fentons (?) or maybe Feltons. They are on hwy 92 heading east past downtown. They had a ton of choice labeled briskets the one time I was in there.

Haven't tried one from them yet, they were about 1.90 lb for a packer.

Thanks Kevin and Craig.
Tampa is a little far to travel for brisket.
icon_wink.gif
But I'll find the place in Sanford.

I've been to Feltons. I thought that it was further than Plant City, but I was visiting in Tampa when we made the trip.

BOB
heading out the door to judge @ a FBA contest in Grant

It seems they are at the farmers market in Sanford but I do not know what they carry there. Tampa, apparently, has their full line.

I stopped at Felton's in Plant City on friday.

They only had select cuts this time and were 1.90 lb.

There were some really big ones though (too big in my opinion), some were in the 17-18 lb range.

We have a Sams Club right next door to one of our Wally's Worlds. I seem to buy just about all the meat I smoke from Sams. Big difference is that most of the meat at Sams is choice. I won't buy meat at Wally world other than Cryovac packages, Tyson Chicken and processed stuff like Farmland bacon, Johnsonville Brauts, and the like.

I've been real happy with all the Sam's meats I get. Have used their baby backs, boston butts, and my favorite briskett packers

I've picked up brisket at Sanwa many times and they've always been good.

Kevin--I've never seen any packaging on the brisket from Sanwa. Any idea of packer company/grade?

I buy all my competition meat from Sam's Club. They have flats 99% of the time but I've been able to order packer cuts in the 12 pound range when necessary. I jus have to let them know a few weeks in advance.

Back