pullin' my pork

Barry Fantle

ok, after a long slow cook, i admit sometimes i do not feel like taking the time to pull the meat off of a 7lb pork butt. how do people usually do this. pull by hand, chop, slice, cut etc...btw i tried the gloves that Steve Raichen(sp) markets for pulling meat...and they suck. they get too slippery.

thanks

barry

I use my hands with gloves to keep my burning myself and forks, I did pick up a pair of Bear Paws but haven't tried them yet.

I like to do it by hand because my wife calls me an idiot when I'm jumping up and down with burning hands. I'm not sure why I find this funny and get some sort of weird satisfaction from it. Call it TRADITION if you want (cue broadway musical fiddlers and peddlers from impoverished ethinic village). Not necessarily the best way, but my way nevertheless
icon_rolleyes.gif

I use a KitchenAid Mixer. I cut the meat into 2 or 3 inch chunks and use the triangle shaped paddle of the mixer to knock the meat apart at medium to low speed. I get perfect pulled pork from this method.

Rusty

I always pull by hand. Being able to seperate out the remaining internal pockets of fat and remaining connective tissue yields a leaner, cleaner product that has plenty of taste.

I always pull by hand. That way you can get rid of any small pieces of fat and shred it just how you like it. I use those black gloves (only $10 with free shipping) from texasbbqrub.com they keep your hands pretty cool while handeling the hot meat and they clean up real easy.
icon_cool.gif

texasbbqrub.com

Windy City Smokers

Two forks; no burnt fingers, and a nice shred. Plus, it's easy to pick out the weird veins, unrendered fat and connective tissue too.

What I really have a hard time with is *not* eating a belly full before I'm done!

After it's rested in a cooler for a spell, I find it cool enough to pull by hand. I do it that way to get as much of the fat and other things out. Worse case, I put a pair of Playtex-type kitchen gloves over a pair of those mechanic type gloves to protect the old phalanges.

But I will be trying the Kitchen Aide idea!

Kitchen-Aid Mixer, never would have thought of that one, will have to try next time. I often pull by hand with heavy duty rubber gloves. If in a hurry or doing quite a few I will use 2 seven inch cleavers. Can chop up Mr. Brown quite well with these babies and distribute it throughout my chopped butt. The seven inch cleavers came from my local restraunt supply store, a little heavier duty than most.

I use the Bear Paws as well. With them it's amazing how quickly, and finely, I can shred a pork butt. Well worth the money.

I had to etch my name in them after the last group cook I attended. They tried to walk away with a little help.

I like the Bear Paws also, sometimes I'll wrap my Butts in foil the last hour or so while they're finishing up...It helps them pull a little easier.

Ron

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Two forks; no burnt fingers, and a nice shred. Plus, it's easy to pick out the weird veins, unrendered fat and connective tissue too. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 forks here.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ron, do you wrap them and let them rest after they come off the smoker? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Matt,
yeah when they finish I just leave them in the foil that they were in on the WSM and let them rest about 2 hours before I pull them...

Back