pulled pork ... yet another question

Louis

TVWBB Fan
Hi there,

Now that i mastered the butt, i still got some question about :
1. the sauce to use with the pork
2. the kind of bread to use
3. the topping ...

So ! what kind of sauce should i use ? what do you prefer ? tomato based, mustard based ?

Do you simply use burger bread or something else ?

And what do you put in your pulled pork sandwich ? cole slaw ? something else ? any good recipe ?

thanks to you all again !

Good for you Loius in perfecting your pork butt. I prefer tomato based sauce, such as Blues Hog Tenneessee Red sauce, or KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. Bread I usually get from a bakery, rolls that are the same size as a burger roll but have a slightly firmer crust to stand up to the sauce and not become soggy. Some folks like Cole slaw on theirs, I prefer not to as I like to taste the pork and sauce only. Just a preference not the right or wrong way of doing it. I am sure you will get the BBQ pros to let you know the proper way. You can look under the sauces and marinade section for recipes as to what other folks use.

Oh I'd have to say this is a to each his own question for sure,we all like things differently. Myself,I'm partial to mustard based sauces for pulled pork and sometimes I like slaw on the sandwich,it all depends on how I feel when I'm eating,it's all good whether its on buns,rolls,bread or just heaped in a pile,garlic bread isn't to bad either.

LOL Don,..sometimes I just have it heaped in a pile on a plate also.
icon_smile.gif
And sometimes no sauce!

I will only reply to the sauce, the other is very subjective. #5 sauce is great, it can be tweaked to your liking on the stove as you make it once it starts simmering; add a touch or two of one of the ingredients until you like.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0069052/m/2870053653

Here is my go to:

1 cup ketchup
1/8 cup cider vinegar
1/3-1/2 cup juice (apple, mango, orange, etc...)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)

Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired.

Hey Louis, When its juicy melt in your mouth, I use no sauce at all.

I normally use regular hamburger buns but have used Portugese buns with great success.

I'm a slaw on the side with Kansas City Beans (Smoke & Spice) type of guy.

Memphis-style is tops: Pile pulled pork on a bun, next a squirt of sweet red sauce, and then top with a spoonful of mustardy slaw. When made right, you use a fork or Lay's tater chip for what falls off the bun onto your plate.
icon_biggrin.gif

Specifically, the recipes for Chris Lilly's (Big Bob Gibson's BBQ) "Memphis-style Championship Red Sauce" and his "Crisp Spicy Southern Mustard Coleslaw" are worth the price of his book. Seriously.

I'd only use the full amounts of molasses and honey for glazing, and take into account the strength of your onion when making the slaw. It was a good call on my wife's part to use half as much as the recipe called for when she made it. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that I'll be the one making it next time since shredding onion, bell pepper and celery was such a pain for her.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Oh well though, maybe she'll do the easy part and shred the cabbage and carrot.

Try this yellow mustard bbq sauce, it is my fave.

One cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar or less
..... pepper to taste
mix in a pan just until it STARTS to boil. then turn it off as you do not want to cook it. Stir well of course and add a small shake of cayenne or spicy bbq rub.
I love this on pork!

Those are "Can of Worms" questions with answers based solely on preference
icon_smile.gif

1. I use a vinegar based finishing sauce (many available here) while pulling the pork. I also serve a modified #5 sauce (look it up here, very easy) and a thinner hot sauce on the side. Sadly, I find kids like ketchup...
2. I use whatever looks good. In my opinion, softer is better. Cheaper is even better. Lots of people serve it without bread. On the day after, I generally eat it with buttered bread on the side.
3. I prefer no slaw, my wife likes slaw. Lot's of great recipes here for that. I have a friend who adds slaw, baked beans and pretty much anything else on the table. Pure preference but offering options on the side generally pleases most.

Basically, your cook, your rules. I live in the details but I'm 90% sure my guests have no idea other than enjoying good food.

JDH

Back