Pulled Pork - Serving

Jim Smithson

TVWBB Fan
Hi Guys

I am curious on everyone's typical serving method with pulled pork. Do you just put the pork in a serving container and let the diners apply their own sauce?

I find that a small amount of vinegar sauce (not much of a sauce really....) seems to add a good tang and balance the taste...then adding sauce to taste for each diner.

I plan on a BBQ party and am thinking of doing the above and offering a number of sauce choices...hot, mild etc..

Comments?

Jim,

You may want to search some of the existing discussions -- there's been many informative and even entertaining threads.

Me, personally, it goes into a steam table pan and folks can have it any way they'd like. Bun, plain, with coleslaw. But mine is quite spicy and full of vinegar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I plan on a BBQ party and am thinking of doing the above and offering a number of sauce choices...hot, mild etc.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I do. I like making sauces so I make a bunch. I do mix a little vinegar sauce into the PP when I pull, and serve a few or several on the side--usually straight vinegar sauce, a spicy vinegar-mustard sauce, one or two fruit-based sauces, and a tomato-based. People like trying different sauces and maybe mixing them together--and they look cool arrayed on the table!

I also serve the sauce on the side. I find around by me, most like a sweet sauce, but I prefer a vinegar sauce. I usually just spritz with a little apple juice after pulling.

One of the problems that I have in Michigan is that when I say to people "vinegar sauce" they frown and go "wha?" Which means, I usually toss some with vinegar sauce, ("no, no, you'll like it trust me") and serve some dry with sauce on the side. *sigh* I live among a bunch of heathens.

Perhaps you need a creative name for it!

Thought of you the other day. I make various fruit vinegars for use in vinegar sauces in place of (or mixed with) the usual apple cider vin. Got a cherry going now.

I pull the butts and toss the meat in a big bowl that has been warmed...throw a little apple juice in there and mix it up to keep it moist...then leave the sauce on the side. It might surprise you how much people will like the smoked product less the sauce! Don't be offended...that is a big compliment!
wsmsmile8gm.gif
icon_smile.gif

I also mix my pulled pork with a little vinegar sauce to add a bit of flavor. I usually put the pork in the crock pot to keep it warm. I also serve several sauces on the side. I find the guests enjoy this type of service. I let them make their own sandwiches and add any type of sauce they want. At the beggining I usually expalain what kinds of sauces they are, although anymore they know about the sauces and what to expect. Seems every party I have more and more folks show up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Seems every party I have more and more folks show up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's true here also lol. I am depending on that to get the word spread for me to get "hired" to do their parties/picnics.
Got to get my foot in the door somehow.

After I have the butts pulled I put in more of my rub and toss to mix it all together. Everyone then uses thier sauce of choice.

Back