Pulled Pork question

John Frailey

TVWBB Fan
So last week I am at my first comp doing three 7 pound pork butts. Took them high heat (one day cook) to 200 degrees internal temp. They were in aluminum foil pans. Only a small portion of the butts actually shredded into what I would consider "pulled pork" Due to some heat / timing issues they did not have a chance to be foiled and stored. Was that my problem? What's the science of getting them to shred?

under cooked or just a bad cut of butt. I get my butts from the same butcher but once in awhile I get one that does not want to shred very well. Was all three not shredding?

What the others said! But what was the temp? They needed more time rendering? Butts is almost the only cut i still go low´n´slow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
What the others said! But what was the temp? They needed more time rendering? Butts is almost the only cut i still go low´n´slow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What Daniel Said !

With everything else being right!... I would guess that they did not get to idle along, long enough at some of the lower temps approaching 200, to render the fat properly, and break down the connective tissues!

Just my opinion!

John, I'm not sure I understand what happened with your cook. When you say the butts "did not have a chance to be foiled" do you mean during the cook? Whenever I do butts (I only do high heat now) I go 3 hours in smoke and 2 hours in foil. Without the foil stage I don't think high heat would work properly.

Thanks for the input guys. Think I will try this again under a more controlled (no turn in time) environment. Each butt had parts that shredded just fine, money muscles seemed fine. Guess I just need more practice
icon_biggrin.gif
Sucks to be me..LOL

John, when you test for being done. the meat should be tender in ALL areas . If not leave it on the smoker. Needs more time. Temp is an indicator not an absolute. Good luck

I find a lot of the grocery store butts up here are too lean. Some have very little marbling throughout the meat and not much fat separating the individual muscles. I always seem to get better results when I spend a little bit more and buy my pork from a local producer.

Back