Pulled Pork Quantities

Hi, folks:
I'm getting involved as a pulled port sadwich supplier for a school fund raiser. A search in the forums turned up a discussion fdrom 2004 that one fellow served up sandwiches running at roughly 2.5 oz. per bun. while the numbers are great - more or less 60 sandwishes to a 10 pund butt, it seemed to me a little light. Of course, it must be kept in mind that it is a fund raiser, so piling meat high is not in the cards, but, I'm wondering if anyone out there have experience with this?

Thanks,
Michael

Your cooked yield will be only about 50-60% of the uncooked product weight. In a mixed group-- older adults, younger adults, and children-- the average consumption will be around 1/3 pound per person. If you're feeding the high school football team, figure on a half pound.

You need to factor in that the cooked butt will weigh less than the uncooked butt.

In the cooking section of this site, a yield of 40-60% is given for an untrimmed butt. A 10 pound untrimmed butt will yield 4-6 pounds of meat.

Using the admittedly light serving of 2.5 ounces per sandwich, an 10 pound untrimmed butt will yield 25-38 sandwiches.

Doug was looking over my shoulder ...
icon_smile.gif

this may sound silly. but you could always go buy a pulled pork sandwhich at a local bbq place. take it home and weigh the amount of meat that it comes with. try and get it w/o sauce to be as accurate as possible.

Back