pulled pork pizza

Anton

TVWBB Fan
Well I've been hesitant to make a pulled pork pizza ever since I started Q'ing (18 months now). My main reason is most of the bbq pizza's I've had in the past have always had WAY too much bbq sauce and 'tang' on them. But last night I thought I would give it a try and see what I could do.

I had a bunch of pulled pork leftover from a day or so ago, so I made my pizza dough. For the sauce I took a smashed up garlic clove and mixed it with some olive oil and home made bbq sauce (this was a ketchup based sweet bbq sauce, probably about 1T of each) mixed em all together in my morter/pestle. I was a little hesitant so was only doing a half pizza.

I threw my dough and made it in to a pizza, put the sauce on (it wasn't very thick at all, you could see through to the dough underneath in most places), added mozzarela, and topped it with pulled pork, then a litle bbq sauce drizzeled over the top. Threw it in my oven and...

IT CAME OUT AWESOME! I really coudn't believe it. It had the perfect hint of bbq, and after each piece I ate it left me wanting for more. I'm actually glad I didn't make a whole pie as I probably would have ate the whole thing and made myself sick!

It was the best bbq pizza I have ever had, and definitely in the running for the best pizza ever!

The only difference I would make next time is to add more pork, it seems to shrink quite a bit in the oven, so what I thought was plenty turned out to be barely enough.

Anton

That sounds so good. I'm thinking about doing a pizza this weekend.

I bought a pizza stone and have yet to use it. Think I'll put it in the WSM just to give that a try.

I do pizza on my Weber gasser at least once a week. Make sure to coat the dough with olive oil before placing on the hot grate. And cook till quite crisp before flipping. Apply oil again on top, flip, and then add sauce cheese and toppings and cover with lid. I usually turn down the heat a little after flipping as well.

Crispy thin crust pizza, just awesome. The wife and kids just love it. You can put your pizza stone on the grill as well if you would like. Enjoy...

I've made pizza on my bbq grill once. I probably won't ever do it again. Just doesn't compare to my brick oven in the garage
icon_smile.gif

I have made BBQ pizza before with my pulled pork. I like to thrown sliced red onion & cilantro on it. I cook my pizza at very high heat (550) to get the pizza crust crips. One thing ive noticed is the pork tends to become dried out and kind of stringy. I prefer to add the pulled pork after the pizza is cooked on top because of this.

Ooh, cilantro and the onion sounds like it would go great on there.

I built a brick hearth oven, electric powered, in my garage. Works great, I can get it real hot so I can cook pizza at 650 degrees F if I feel the need. My primary food hobby is sourdough bread, or at least it was until I started with the weber, now it's all a balancing act which I'm not very good at.

Back