Pulled pork hacks?

Aaron Lucas

TVWBB Member
using the 18.5 WSM
Did my first couple pork shoulders recently.
I had purchased at Costco and they were boneless. They didn’t have any bone in shoulders at the time.

since they hacked the bone out it wasn’t very pretty, so I used some butcher twine to tie it all together to make it a more uniform piece of meat.

I also, as best I could, cut them in essentially half to allow them to get more into a roll.
I ended up with 4ish lb cuts
Smoked em this way in about 4-5 hours, wrapped them around 170.

At the End everything pulled apart greet and was moist but I don’t feel like a got as much smoke on into the meat as I would have liked.

I’d like to know your thoughts o Mc achieving maximal smoke in this this shorter cooking window.

maybe I leave them unwrapped the entire time?
Or maybe not cutting in half is the way to go?
If anyone has any wisdom on this I’d like to hear it.

thanks,
Aaron

Last edited:
Costco has not sold bone-in pork butts in recent memory, at least not here on the West Coast. I've found that many supermarkets do, so that might be the way to go.

However, having the bone removed does make it easier to cut in half as you did or to butterfly them for greater surface area. Yes, you will have to tie them as you did when leaving them whole or in halves.

For more smoke flavor, try leaving them unwrapped, or wrap even later in the process, or start with more smoke wood at the beginning. Were it me, I'd try option #3.

And keep the pork moist while unwrapped, that will help more smoke stick to the surface. Use water in the pan OR spritz with water or other flavorful liquid starting around the 3 hour mark or when the crust has set on the surface.

Good luck!

Since they're practically in half after boning, I just finish the job, and smoke unwrapped till they're done. You get more smoke and bark overall, and still are moist and pull easily.

Since they're practically in half after boning, I just finish the job, and smoke unwrapped till they're done. You get more smoke and bark overall, and still are moist and pull easily.
Do you do any tying or just lay them out kind flat in your method??

Back