Pulled Pork for Tailgating

S. Fink

TVWBB Fan
I'm planning on doing pulled pork for a tailgate this Sunday. My thought was to smoke and pull the butt on Saturday. The question is, what's the best way to reheat in the parking lot the next day?

Should I put the pulled meat in trays and reheat over a little grill? If so, what would you recommend adding to the meat during re-heat to avoid drying it out? I like to serve w/ a vinger-based sauce.

If you remove it that morning and wrap it well & put into an insulated container (ice chest, etc.) then it should remain hot for a few hours.

Otherwise, shred it and put in ziploc freezer bags then simmer it (bag & all) in water. Be careful not to melt it...obviously.

Thanks for the help. If the butt is going to be coolered for 2-4 hours before pulling, at what temperature should I pull it off the Smoker. Lower than usual?

I've got my 8 lb butt rubbed and in the fridge. Figuring to put it in at 7pm if I plan on leaving home with the butt in a cooler at 8:30 and eating around 11AM. Does this timing seem safe? I'm figuring 1.5 hours per lb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S. Fink:
Thanks for the help. If the butt is going to be coolered for 2-4 hours before pulling, at what temperature should I pull it off the Smoker. Lower than usual? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S. Fink:
I've got my 8 lb butt rubbed and in the fridge. Figuring to put it in at 7pm if I plan on leaving home with the butt in a cooler at 8:30 and eating around 11AM. Does this timing seem safe? I'm figuring 1.5 hours per lb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I like pulling mine between 195º and 200º. I cook mine at around 220-225º and my 8 lb butts usually take closer to 18 hours. They're usually IBP butts so your milleage may vary. Remember, you can always hold the meat but it't hard to rush it.
icon_wink.gif

Good luck with your cook and take some pics!
icon_cool.gif

Bill

I putt the butt on at 6. Cooker's running a little hot . . . 255-260. Probably started w/ too much lit on the Minion. If it finishes more than 4 hours before I plan to pull/eat, should I just pull first and reheat at the stadium? Can I keep it in a cooler for more than 4 hrs?

Can I keep it in a cooler for more than 4 hrs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
In a good cooler with plenty of towels, newspaper etc for insulation and only as big as you need, yes you can hold for more than 4 hrs. I've gone 6 hrs with no problems. Obviously if you put a butt in a 60 qt cooler that's wat to big for the purpose at hand. HTH

Checked at 3:15 . . . temp was still good and butt was around 175. Went back to bed. Just got up at 6:00. Looks like I burnt through my fuel as smoker had dropped to 180 and butt was at 158. Thought for timing purposes that it was best to finish in over before wrapping for cooler. Any concern about the time when my fuel petered out?

Was concerned that the meat temp might have dropped too much when the fuel went low.

Turned out not to be an issue as the butt came out great. Wrapped in towels, went into a cooler, and pulled 2.5 hours later in the Giants Stadium parking lot. Friends were definitely impressed .. thanks for the recommendation of pulling on site.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.
I have cooked a few times now and put in cooler for pulling later. Works very well. It is surprising how hot they stay. Still need gloves to pull.

Back