Pulled Pork for 60 (update w/ pics)

Mosef

TVWBB Member
I've been waiting patiently for the past 4 months, and my turn has finally arrived to provide morning snack for the staff at my elementary school. There a just a few questions I have, as this will be my biggest cook to date.
I want to keep it simple, so pulled pork sliders with no. 5 sauce will suffice. I'm planning on getting about 30 lbs. of butt (Safeway has an 87 cent deal this week), which should be about 4 oz. per person. If this were a backyard affair with friends, I would plan on more, but these teachers (mostly women) don't really eat that much. Does my estimate sound right?
As for cooking, two butts will fit on my offset smoker (WSM is on loan) and whatever else will have to go in the oven. I'm taking Tuesday off (only 1 class) to give myself plenty of time. Would you mix the oven pork in with the smoked pork, or just leave the oven pork just in reserve?
Also, since I'm cooking in advance (Thursday is the snack day), what do you think of reheating for 45 minutes in covered aluminum trays in the oven at 225 or so with a little apple juice/vinegar (or whatever else you can recommend)?
Thanks for any help in advance, and I'll get some pics up when I have them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mosef:
Does my estimate sound right?

<span class="ev_code_RED">YES</span>

As for cooking, two butts will fit on my offset smoker (WSM is on loan) and whatever else will have to go in the oven. I'm taking Tuesday off (only 1 class) to give myself plenty of time. Would you mix the oven pork in with the smoked pork, or just leave the oven pork just in reserve?

<span class="ev_code_RED">I would cook 2 butts in the Offset until they hit around 150-160, to get some smoke put on them, then finish in the oven. Then add the other two butts to the Offset and cook like the previous two.</span>

Also, since I'm cooking in advance (Thursday is the snack day), what do you think of reheating for 45 minutes in covered aluminum trays in the oven at 225 or so with a little apple juice/vinegar (or whatever else you can recommend)?

<span class="ev_code_RED">If you can reheat on-site in crock pots with your apple/juice vinegar sauce mixed in. If not reaheat per your plan, but bump the heat up to 325º until the meat is thoroughly warmed through, but not HOT. You can and will dry out your pork if you over heat it after it's pulled. </span>
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hope this helps!!

Thanks Larry, I like the plan of getting each butt in the smoker and finishing in the oven.
Thursday morning could be tricky. I have class from 8:40 to 9:20, then a break to make sure everything is set up. People will come through in 2 shifts starting at 9:40. 20 minutes doesn't seem like enough time to reheat a tray's worth of pork. That's why I thought of getting it all in the oven before 8:40. Which means it'll be in there for an hour with no monitoring for the first 40 minutes. Overkill?
Can I get it done in 20 minutes?

Success! My biggest cook to date.
Tuesday was a long one. Fired up the first chimney at 8am, didn't have the last butt pulled until just before midnight.
Reheating in the oven was not ideal. There was a bit too much pork in each pan, and I set the oven temp too low (225) before going off to class. Oh well, I cranked the heat a bit and managed to get food out to everyone.
Alright, enough talk, let's see pics...

The mighty smoker

6 hours in

Pulled and packed

I had 2 of these giant trays

Don't forget No. 5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
<span class="ev_code_RED">If you can reheat on-site in crock pots with your apple/juice vinegar sauce mixed in. If not reaheat per your plan, but bump the heat up to 325º until the meat is thoroughly warmed through, but not HOT. You can and will dry out your pork if you over heat it after it's pulled. </span>
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mosef:
There was a bit too much pork in each pan, and I set the oven temp too low (225) before going off to class. Oh well, I cranked the heat a bit and managed to get food out to everyone.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I thought I mentioned reheating at a higher hear!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_razz.gif

Glad everything turned out great! Sure does look good!!!

Tuesday was a long one. Fired up the first chimney at 8am, didn't have the last butt pulled until just before midnight.
Reheating in the oven was not ideal. There was a bit too much pork in each pan, and I set the oven temp too low (225) before going off to class. Oh well, I cranked the heat a bit and managed to get food out to everyone.

The mighty smoker

6 hours in

Pulled and packed

Don't forget No. 5 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looks great. BTW. Where did you get the clamp that you have on your exhaust elbo?

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Larry, I guess it was that last little warning about drying out the pork that stuck with me, rather than the temperature suggestion. Next time I'll know better: NEVER DOUBT LARRY WOLFE. There, I think it's stuck in my head now!

Steve, I'll get back to you about the clamp. The smoker was a present from my future pops-in-law, and I'm not sure where every part came from.

Larry, I guess it was that last little warning about drying out the pork that stuck with me, rather than the temperature suggestion. Next time I'll know better: NEVER DOUBT LARRY WOLFE. There, I think it's stuck in my head now!

Steve, I'll get back to you about the clamp. The smoker was a present from my future pops-in-law, and I'm not sure where every part came from. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

K thanks. I looks like an aviation style clamp.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mosef, I'm wrong more than I'm right.....so you have every reason to doubt me!!! But you actually can dry out the meat faster by reheating at lower temps than you will at higher temps......because it takes so much longer.

That's funny, Larry. First you say that you're wrong more often than you're right, then you dish out an extra bit of knowledge that has to be right. I repeat: DO NOT DOUBT!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Steve, here's what I was told:

"The clamp and rings go by two different names in industry. They can be called V-band connections or Marmon Flange connections. They are used in industry primarily on diesel truck exhaust systems and also on race car exhaust systems. Lately I see a lot of them being used on the import cars they people modify with their larger, louder exhaust systems. The good ones are quite expensive but there are a lot of off shore knockoffs around now that will work just fine for "smoker" use. If you type in "v-band clamp" on e-bay you will see all kinds of them."

No, I believe this will be a one of a kind. Pretty as she is, though, the WSM can run laps around her in terms of efficiency and steadiness of temperatures. I think you are going to very quickly discover the WSM to be a consistent and reliable workhorse.

The mighty smoker

6 hours in

Pulled and packed

Don't forget No. 5 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why don't you post yer pics here?
icon_biggrin.gif

smoker.jpg

smokin2.jpg

pulled2.jpg

pulled.jpg

sauce.jpg

HA!

Well, these were the first pics I've posted, and I was trying to follow the rules and all that.

Or maybe I was just trying to get some more traffic to my fiance's website. That's boogbites.com . Wallets, handbags, all that stuff your lady wants, just in time for the holidays!
(Are shameless plugs in compliance with the rules?)
icon_razz.gif

Back